Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant ping to another pc of different level

TravisMoney4155
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

i have created a network topology representing my faculty's network layout.

it consists of 2 blocks (Block A and Block B) and has 4 levels each block (Level G,1,2,3).
Each PCs is connected via switches. 

I'm having a problem pinging from one PC to another PC of a different level (e.g: PC from Block A Level 1 to PC from Block B Level 2). Whenever i ping the PCs from a different level it returns fail.

However if it's the same level the packets are sent successfully. (E.g: PCs from Block A Level 1 to PCs from Block B Level 1) 

i have configured all the ip address for the PCs and configured the switches using the command ( interface vlan1, ip add )

Really need your help in this guys.... Thank you in advance...

I've attached the packet tracer file for your reference. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @TravisMoney4155 ,

I have reviewed your exercise and notice that you have several networks configured.
192.168.1.0/24

192.168.2.0/24

192.168.3.0/24

192.168.4.0/24

192.168.10.0/24

192.168.11.0/24

192.168.12.0/24

But, you do not have any layer 3 devices that route these different networks.
The vlan1 interface of the L2 switches is only for administration, so it does not serve to route your networks.

Your devices, even if they are in the same vlan, will only be able to communicate with other devices within the same network.

In this scenario, with different networks, the only way to achieve routing between networks is through a router or a MultiLayer switch.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @TravisMoney4155 ,

I have reviewed your exercise and notice that you have several networks configured.
192.168.1.0/24

192.168.2.0/24

192.168.3.0/24

192.168.4.0/24

192.168.10.0/24

192.168.11.0/24

192.168.12.0/24

But, you do not have any layer 3 devices that route these different networks.
The vlan1 interface of the L2 switches is only for administration, so it does not serve to route your networks.

Your devices, even if they are in the same vlan, will only be able to communicate with other devices within the same network.

In this scenario, with different networks, the only way to achieve routing between networks is through a router or a MultiLayer switch.

Regards

Thank you so much!!!!! Will definitely looked into your proposed solution. I'm very new to this Cisco Packet Tracer hence not so sure about all the configurations and options. Thank you again!!!! :)

Hi @TravisMoney4155 ,

No problem.
If you have more questions, just post them in the community and we will try to help you.

Remember to mark the correct answers as solved, because that helps other users with similar doubts.

Regards

Just want to ask, do i need to replace all my switches to a multi layered switch or just change the switch at the MDNER?
Just a brief information on how this network layout works:

The Main Distribution Network Equipment Rack (MDNER)'s switch receives internet from another building called the CITDS. This CITDS building channels the internet connection to every faculty there is in my University. From the MDNER, it channels its connection towards other switches that is in the Sub Distribution Network Equipment Rack (SDNER) at every level in the faculty. 

So is it possible if i just change the MDNER's switch (current one is a 2 layer switch) to a multi layered one? Or do i need to change all the switches for internet connection to be access in all PCs?

Hello,

it should be sufficient to make just that one switch (MDNER) a layer 3 switch. That said, how is CITDS connected to MDNER ?

Attached is the revised lab with a 3560 multilayer switch doing the routing. The reason I originally put a router in was that switches cannot do NAT (Network Address Translation), but it sounds like your multilayer switch is not directly connected to the Internet, so the NAT will happen at the public facing device...

Hello,

there is/was a whole lot of stuff missing in your network. I have attached the revised file. I am not sure what your experience level is and if all of this makes sense to you, so feel free to ask. This is what I did:

1) Configured all inter-switch links as trunks

2) Configured all ports with PCs attached as access ports

3) Configured 'spanning-tree portfast' on all access ports

4) Configured switch 'Miner' as VTP server and all other switches as VTP clients

5) Added a router and created 5 subinterfaces for your inter-Vlan routing

6) Added an IP address from subnet 192.168.1.0/24 to each switch on Vlan1 for management

7) Configured the router as DHCP server (that means you have to set all PCs to DHCP. I have started doing this with the PCs on the left)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card