cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Case Study Help!

Luke Edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I have commented on this before and I thank Joseph W. Doherty for helping me!

I have spoken to my lecture about what I need to do for my Case Study and he replied to my email as followed:-

"Hi Luke,

The report task says, You need to supply a report explaining the reasons behind moving to a router- switch configuration, and discussing the advantages and disadvantages of using VLANs in this scenario (1500 words).
Of course you have to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using VLANs as well.

Isn’t that saying why moving to a router-switch configuration is better than the router-hub configuration the current network is using?
As long as you relate it to the case study, yes it will.

I hope this helps."

He has asked for me to describe the limitations with Router-Hub based Configuration compared to Router-Switch based Configuration and how VLAN is better on Switches rather than a Hub, but I am having no luck finding a website that can provide the information.

Does anyone know or can recommend a web link, general knowledge, or a book that will help me tackle this question?

It needs to be done by Sunday and I am panicking because I cannot find anything that can help me answer it...

6 Replies 6

Junaid Shah
Level 1
Level 1

You need to search for "VLANS" that why use VLANS and how they are helpful, that will get you started on benefits of router-switch topology/implementation as compare to hub. 

router-hub all same broadcast/collision domain, no loop protection,shared bandwidth

router-switch better security , more features , separate collision and broadcast domains , stp technology to prevent loops, dedicated bandwidth , better performance

Edit this comparison chart Hub Switch
Layer Physical layer. Hubs are classified as Layer 1 devices per the OSI model. Data Link Layer. Network switches operate at Layer 2 of the OSI model.
Function To connect a network of personal computers together, they can be joined through a central hub. Allow to connect multiple device and port can be manage, Vlan can create security also can apply
Data Transmission form Electrical signal or bits Frame (L2 Switch) Frame & Packet (L3 switch)
Ports 4/12 ports Switch is multi port Bridge. 24/48 ports
Transmission Type Hubs always perform frame flooding; may be unicast, multicast or broadcast First broadcast; then unicast & multicast as needed.
Device Type Passive Device (Without Software) Active Device (With Software) & Networking device
Used in (LAN, MAN, WAN) LAN LAN
Table A network hub cannot learn or store MAC address. Switches use content accessible memory CAM table which is typically accessed by ASIC (Application Specific integrated chips).
Transmission Mode Half duplex Half/Full duplex
Broadcast Domain Hub has one Broadcast Domain. Switch has one broadcast domain [unless VLAN implemented]
Definition An electronic device that connects many network device together so that devices can exchange data A network switch is a computer networking device that is used to connect many devices together on a computer network. A switch is considered more advanced than a hub because a switch will on send msg to device that needs or request it
Speed 10Mbps 10/100 Mbps, 1 Gbps
Collisions Collisions occur commonly in setups using hubs. No collisions occur in a full-duplex switch.
Spanning-Tree No Spanning-Tree Many Spanning-tree Possible
Manufacturers Sun Systems, Oracle and Cisco Cisco and D-link Juniper

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I am looking for!

Where did you get this from, so I can use it as reference?

Just google difference between hubs and switches

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hub_vs_Switch

mark the post if its answered your question its easier for others to find with the same query if it comes up again

Oh okay, so there isn't a thing where you can see the comparisons of both of them?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card