Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 6500 switch cannot boot

CSCO11657467
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have 6500 series switch. When I switch on, it directly go to rommon mode.

I am going to explain the whole story,

When I buy that switch, the switch had catos. I don't know how to use catos, so I am trying to install ios to that switch. When I install ios to that swich, I wrongly format flash card. So existing catos also gone.

Sorry for my poor english.

Please explain me how to install ios.

Please help me...

12 Replies 12

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Than,

Which supervisor engine do you have right now. If its Sup 1 or 2, you will be better off using the x-modem and transfer the smalled CAT-OS image to sup and back it up. Once its up and running you can use the CatOS to IOS migration procedure.

For Cat6500 recover, Please use the link below :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat6k_rec

For CAT-OS to IOS conversion, use the link below :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

If you have SUP720 or SUP32, you cannot use X-MODEM and the only way to recover them is to use a Flash card. Check with your networking friends if they have a flash with either CAT OS or IOS loaded on it.

HTH,

-amit singh

HI Amit,

Thanks  for your reply.. I will try it out and I will let your know.

Thanks

Hi Amit,

I have Sup 1.

Thanks

Hi Amit,

Firstly I try to recover cat 6500 catos via xmodem command. But it was not successful. I don't know why. I also don't know which catos should I choose. So I download cat6000-sup.5-2-1-CSX cat os and used it . May I know is it correct cat os for that series.

Hi Amit,

Sorry, I can download successful. But still going to rommon mode. Please help me..

Please could you paste me the out put of  " dir bootflash: " from the  rommon mode.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

rommon 1 > dir bootflash:

File size           Checksum   File name

1918840 bytes (0x1d4778)   0x1672b664    bootflash

rommon 2 >

Thanks for your help..

The IOS file is not there.

Hi leolaohoo,

What should I do ?

May I know, is CatOs that I try to install  correct ?

Even I download Cat os, still cannot boot.

Thanks

Hi leolaohoo,

Please guide me,

I don't konw how to do it. I brought that switch last 6 month ago. I still cannot use it. Please help me.

Click on the link I've posted above.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card