Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 9000 embedded wireshark and required license

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi board,

numerous document state, that wireshark requires the dna-advantage (and network-advantage) license:

https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/software/dna-subscription-switching/en-sw-sub-matrix-switching.html?OID=otren019471

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-12/configuration_guide/nmgmt/b_1612_nmgmt_9300_cg/configuring_packet_capture.html

However, I can use it without any restriction (at least I didn't find any) on a Cat 9300 with network and dna-essentials.

For example:

monitor capture CAPTURE_SESSION_1 control-plane both
monitor capture CAPTURE_SESSION_1 buffer circular size 5
monitor capture CAPTURE_SESSION_1 match ipv4 any any
monitor capture CAPTURE_SESSION_1 limit duration 10
monitor capture CAPTURE_SESSION_1 start display

==> Works like a charm (I know ... you shouldn't use "display")

So my question is:

• Is the documentation incorrect?
  • Is the switch working incorrectly (currently IOS-XE 16.12.2)
  • I did something wrong or understood the documents incorrectly

Thanks and best regards

Johannes

2 Replies 2

ambtaylo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The tool works differently depending on license level. What you see is a limited version of the capture tool called EPC (Embedded Packet Capture. Try with higher license and the syntax will change as well as the capabilities, and is a variant called Embedded Wireshark 

bradley.riley
Level 1
Level 1

How do you access and use it without the ability to save as a .pcap? 

I am trying to find if there is burst traffic that is causing packets dropped from output queue, and if so, what is the traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card