Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat-9300 Rollback software image

Heriberto Diaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I client did a ios-xe upgrade from gui but accidentally he loaded a version to c9200. The switch is not reload it yet, so we want to know what is the correct process to do a rollback.

I found this command request platform software package install rollback but my doubt is if I need do something before execute the command because I don't found more information about this.

Does anybody know what is the correct steps to do?

regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as the switch/stack has not been reboot then it is still (easily) fixable.  

Clean up the flash using the command "request platform software package clean switch all". 

Post the complete output to the command "dir flash-1:".

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@Heriberto Diaz : Cisco IOS-XE software release for C9200 and C9300 are same. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/214814-recommended-releases-for-catalyst-9200-9.html

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Thanks for your reply.

I saw the matrix that you shared me, so does this mean the image cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.03.03.SPA.bin (9200) don't cause any issue on 9300 switches?

regards.

I found this...

9200.jpg

So this make me think that I reload the switch, this will fall on rommon.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ROMMON recovery if this stuck in ROMMON : ( connect the console cable and check)

Power off the device and Power on post complete output of the device.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216944-troubleshoot-bootloader-rommon-and-pas.html

depends on release, release notes have information how to upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/products-installation-guides-list.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@inderdeeps wrote:

Cisco IOS-XE software release for C9200 and C9300 are same. 

F**k no, they are NOT the same.  9200/9200L runs on "lanlite" image and is exclusive only to 9200/9200L.

If the 9300 is forced to load the "lanlite" image it will go into boot-crash-loop.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as the switch/stack has not been reboot then it is still (easily) fixable.  

Clean up the flash using the command "request platform software package clean switch all". 

Hello

Sorry for the delay.

dir_flash.jpg

Regards.

Oh for f**k sake.  Did anyone take the time to read my response (LINK)?

9200/9200L and 9300 do not share "the same" firmware.  

9200/9200L loads an IOS-XE firmware called "lan lite" or "lite".  

The screen shot is of a 9300 that came with 17.3.1 firmware.  Someone then extracted a firmware meant for a 9200/9200L (version 17.4.1) into a 9300. 

When this switch boots up, it will still boot up the 17.3.1 firmware.

Don't believe me?  Go ahead, force the 9300/9300L to boot the "lan-lite" BIN firmware and see what happens.

Hi

I just post the output, to shows you how appear the flash accordingly your request.

I will schedule a MW to apply the command request platform software package clean switch all.

Thanks and regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card