Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat2960 Gigabit Port not working

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Brand new 2960. When I plug a cable into the port, nothing happens. The port light doesn't begin negotiation or anything, it just stays dark. The cable works fine--I have it on another switchport with a crossover connector connecting to a little Cisco SOHO switch without problems.

I've done the following:

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1

no shutdown

In other words, I've fiddled with it. But I don't know why it doesn't light up...

I know this is probably a very easy issue and it's only my inexperience that leaves me lost. Any ideas?

Thanks,

jeremyNLSO

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The cable works fine

You don't know that until you've done a TDR.

Here's how you do this:

1.  Make sure you have the cable plugged into the GigabitEthernet port.

2.  Do the following commands:

conf t

int gig0/1

media rj

end

3.  Enable TDR command:  test cable tdr int g0/1

4.  Wait for 5 - 7 seconds;

5.  Command:  sh cable tdr int g0/1

6.  Please post the output.

I did find out something (after 2 years)........

I do a no shut on the interface and I get that Gi0/1 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Loopback test. I also did a sh post and got Failed PortPhyLoopback Packet Test asic_index 0 port_hardware_index 1 in the Loopback Tests portion.

For grins I did what you said -- I configured the port for media rj45. Obviously when I tried the TDR command it said I should no shut the port so that didn't get very far. I also rebooted the switch and saw the failure during the actual POST (after it was ...done Initializing flashfs.).

But this is the deal. I've seen this Document also:
The Gigabit Ethernet port does not work on Catalyst 2960 series switches and the "Failed PortPhiLoopback Packet Test" error message appears
and I did try to hard code the port to duplex full and speed 100 like the documents suggests, but to no avail.

I can say that my IOS is Version 12.2(44)SE6 though. But should I update it? And if so, I'm actually not sure how!! (Crazy, huh? I've yet to do it for any of my switches or routers...) Note that my switch is the WS-C2960-8TC-L.

Are you still there for me?

ArchiTech89
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

If it failed during post, your switch is dead. 

Yeah but that's exactly what the Document said -- that an IOS update can solve the problem. I think I'll try in any event.

BTW. Don't Cisco switches have a lifetime warranty? I can probably just send this back in, right? I bought it brand new...

ArchiTech89
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

Don't Cisco switches have a lifetime warranty? I can probably just send this back in, right? I bought it brand new...

Some new models (2960S/X/XR) have Extended Limited Lifetime Warranty.  Older 2960/G are not covered.  

The main point to consider is whether or not you've got a valid Service Contract.  If you don't, then your only hope is to contact your authorized Cisco reseller.

Hi, in case you didn't give up yet, here are instructions to update the firmware:

Go to http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/ to find the Cisco IOS software (in tar file format) for the switch. I suggest you try 12.2.55-SE9 first.

Make a backup of your current image and overwrite the existing one using these steps:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/file_management/file_management/img_files.html#wp1057336

Hope this helps...

OK, I was able to update the IOS to 12.2(55)SE9. I could only use the .bin file though. I couldn't use the archive command -- it's not available in 12.2(44)SE6 -- so I just used copy.

I noticed that the existing image was in a subdirectory (by the same name as the .bin file) in flash. The info file is there as well, and also the html directory. Do these need to be copied to the root of the flash?

Anyway, that didn't fix it. I still get the feedback "%PLATFORM_ENV-3-LOOPBACK_PORT_POST_ERR: Gi0/1 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Loopback test." at the end of the boot process.

Should I try a 15. version of the image? I could probably go back to the vendor since I posted the original question 2 years ago -- they would probably believe me that it was faulty from the start. But if it is just a IOS image problem, I sure would like to avoid that hassle.

BTW. I didn't create a new directory for the new image -- I just put it in the root of the flash. I know it works because I've booted it. But I'm wondering if there's a "best practice" in putting it in its own directory...

ArchiTech89
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

Gi0/1 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Loopback test

Your switch is dead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card