Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cat6500 failover different IOS

Hi, I probably exagerating, but I just want to confirm

we have 2 6500 boxes (one SUP each) not in VSS just independent boxes with firewall service modules on each box

we have only updagraded the secondary box and we verified asa failover is in place,however, we did not upgrade the primary box due to the lack of time of the window, we will proceed in another rescheduled window, 

however, what will happen in case of a failure either at the harwarre level or fwsm, will it work automatic failover? just because they have different IOS versions?

they dont share control plane info suchs as the VPCs in nexus, and we are not running any VSS but just want to confirm if the primary box fails (with the old IOS version for now), will the secondary box with newer IOS version will take place normally with no problem assuming all config is the same?

or is there any consideration I can take ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on how many boot variable statements are present.
If the boot variable statement specifies the new IOS will be used, old IOS will be used in case the new IOS fails to load, then this is possible (highly recommended).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on how many boot variable statements are present.
If the boot variable statement specifies the new IOS will be used, old IOS will be used in case the new IOS fails to load, then this is possible (highly recommended).

Thanks for your clarification, 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card