Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat9K: VTP (or PTP) over Management Interface

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Question for the Cisco Community hive mind:

• Can the Management interface on the Catalyst 9K carry VTP?
  • For bonus: Can it carry PTP/IEEE1588?

I'm down the rabbit hole on a topology re-design (where a 3rd party firewall will separate groups switches), and I want to maintain a single VTP and PTP hierarchy.

Yes, I know, fact that I'm posting this question here is the biggest indicator that I should find my way out and burn my current draft!

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Manangement interface mainly for Managing the device like OOB managment, its belong to VRF or just manangement

i do not believe you can use any of the purpose you thinking to do i guess (honestly never tested, never got that requirement to use mgmt - since we have many other ports to use for the same purpose uplink ports)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Think of a management interface as a "host" interface, where you connect your switch to another switch to be accessible out-of-band for management. So, no VTP. PTP, etc.

HTH

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

I'll try it and let you know which protocols pass (PTP, VTP, etc.)

ashishr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @BrianSekleckiGE

Ethernet management port is not layer 2 switchport so VTP will not work on it. It is also not listed in supported features in configuration guide. PTP might work since it would be IP packet.

Supported Features on the Ethernet Management Port
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/int_hw/b_1610_int_and_hw_9500_cg/configuring_ethernet_management_port.html

Thanks,

Ashish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card