cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 Console cabling

CSCO11751061
Level 1
Level 1

I have an rj45-rj45 rollover cable connected to an rj45-db9f straight through adapter which is then connected to a db9 serial cable.  I can't get a console connection to work in either PuTTY or Teraterm.  The session begins but I just have a blank screen with a cursor in the upper left and I can't input anything.  I have seen crossover rj45-db9 adapters and was wondering if this is what I need or whether it seems I have a bad connection somewhere.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are the setting correct on the console session?

Should look like this:

Bits per sec    :  9600
Data bits       :     8
Parity          :  none
Stop bits       :     1
Flow control    :  none

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010ff7a.shtml#connecttermtocat

HTH

Reza

I was able to get it working by switching out my rollover cable with a standard straight-through ethernet cable.  I'm not quite sure why this works.  I just recently obtained my CCNA and I was under the impression a rollover cable was required.

The default Cisco console cable that comes with the device is rollover. You probably are using a straight-through Ethernet cable, but your adapter is rolled

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Seems like you have nailed it. You do need a proper db9-RJ45 converter for

this to work.

Regards,

NT

Huh,  my adapter is supposed to be straight through.  I used an extra db9 cable that came with a UPS I installed yesterday...might this be the cause?  I have a sabrent DB9 to USB cable on order so the cabling I had hoped to work was: RJ45 rolled ->RJ45-DB9f straight through adapter ->DB9m to USB serial.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card