cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 Console cabling

CSCO11751061
Level 1
Level 1

I have an rj45-rj45 rollover cable connected to an rj45-db9f straight through adapter which is then connected to a db9 serial cable.  I can't get a console connection to work in either PuTTY or Teraterm.  The session begins but I just have a blank screen with a cursor in the upper left and I can't input anything.  I have seen crossover rj45-db9 adapters and was wondering if this is what I need or whether it seems I have a bad connection somewhere.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are the setting correct on the console session?

Should look like this:

Bits per sec    :  9600
Data bits       :     8
Parity          :  none
Stop bits       :     1
Flow control    :  none

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010ff7a.shtml#connecttermtocat

HTH

Reza

I was able to get it working by switching out my rollover cable with a standard straight-through ethernet cable.  I'm not quite sure why this works.  I just recently obtained my CCNA and I was under the impression a rollover cable was required.

The default Cisco console cable that comes with the device is rollover. You probably are using a straight-through Ethernet cable, but your adapter is rolled

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Seems like you have nailed it. You do need a proper db9-RJ45 converter for

this to work.

Regards,

NT

Huh,  my adapter is supposed to be straight through.  I used an extra db9 cable that came with a UPS I installed yesterday...might this be the cause?  I have a sabrent DB9 to USB cable on order so the cabling I had hoped to work was: RJ45 rolled ->RJ45-DB9f straight through adapter ->DB9m to USB serial.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card