cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950G-24-EI firmware upgrade? Will it work?

Hello there.

Got 2 pcs. of C2950G-24-EI which are both running 12.1(9)EA1. Now I was thinking to upgrade them to the latest available (12.1.22-EA14), but before I do this task I'd like to know if there's a way to check in advance if those images will run. Any way to check about available memory or memory needs?

Or should I better leave it and think about buying newer switches instead?

Thanks and regards,

Flavio.

8 Replies 8

If you want to do plain switching, the 2950 will be fine. But if you want to do some fancy security- or QoS-stuff, then a newer switch like the 2960-S will have more features and will be more powerfull.

To my knowledge, all 2950 have the needed Memory/Flash to run the newest software. You need 16 MB DRAM and 8 MB Flash.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Hy Karsten,

thanks for your reply. How may I check the DRAM and Flash memory on the actual switches?

Regards,

Flavio.

switch# show version

will give you the needed info.

-- 

Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:

I guess this is the DRAM:

cisco WS-C2950G-24-EI (RC32300) processor (revision C0) with 20815K bytes of memory.

And with "show flash:" I guess this is the output of the Flash size:

7741440 bytes total (3570688 bytes free)

Above informations tell me 20 MB DRAM and 7.38 MB Flash... is this correct?

Regards,

F.

that's correct. That will be fine for the new software.

The upgrade will be performed with the "archive"-command:

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://IP-OF-YOUR-TFTP-SERVER/IMAGE-NAME.tar

Or you can upgrade from the web-interface.

-- 

Hello there.

Today I managed to update this switch. The command

archive download-sw

was not available on the IOS version. I had to delete the flash:/html folder and do a

copy tftp://10.10.10.168/IMAGE.bin flash:

Now it is working.

Regards,

F.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2950G-24EI can support EA14 IOS.

I know this is possible because I've upgraded >250 units of these.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you use the .bin file these units generally had enough flash for one image so you would have to get it on the air , delete and squeeze the current image and then download the new image into flash. "Do not interupt the process when it is going on or you will brick it and you will have to go thru the fun procedure of trying to recover from rommon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card