Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960 Bootloader downgrade

MagicMike
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

After reading this -> https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-switches/upgrading-bootloader-on-catalyst-switches/m-p/3672626#M20119 it is still unclear how to downgrade the bootloader of one of my switches.

is there a way to downgrade this:

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2960 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960 Boot Loader (C2960-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(44)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Switch uptime is 1 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

to this:

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2960 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960 Boot Loader (C2960-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Switch uptime is 1 minute
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

Thank you

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't worry about bootloader/bootstrap firmware. The switch and IOS will do that automatically.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Don't worry about bootloader/bootstrap firmware. The switch and IOS will do that automatically.

I am worried as I did a firmware upgrade to 3 of 16 switches and now on all of them I have SYST LED solid amber. I went back to the old firmware but still solid amber! Switches are working fine!

For those with amber LED, post the complete output to the command "sh post".

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
For those with amber LED, post the complete output to the command "sh post".
Switch#sh post
Stored system POST messages:

Switch 1
---------

POST: CPU MIC PortASIC interface Loopback Tests : End, Status Passed

Switch#

All 3 of them have the same output! 

Also I am getting this now (I've tried the power off 5 minutes procedure):

00:11:05: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: ILET Platform Authentication Failure
 The software has detected that this switch may not be a genuine Cisco product and that software loaded on the switch may have been copied in violation of Cisco's end user license agreement. Cisco licensing, warranties and support programs only apply to genuine Cisco products. Cisco may deny operation of this product, or support under your warranty or under a Cisco support program such as SmartNet. If you receive this message, please contact your Cisco Sales Representative for assistance.

This issue has been fixed in later versions, like the latest 12.2(55)SE train.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
This issue has been fixed in later versions, like the latest 12.2(55)SE train.

Hi, but that's why I am here asking for a solution, because I did an update from c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin to c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin and now I am stuck with SYST LED solid amber. I went back to c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin but still solid amber led. Also I just tried the same thing on my 4th switch and I have the same problem (and my switches are not fake ones as I bought them directly from Cisco). I was thinking that it might be a bootloader issue. 

Many thanks! :)

Can you try the latest 15.0(2)SE?

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Can you try the latest 15.0(2)SE?

I have done it, still the same amber led and the same error message! Thank you for your answers! I am guessing that there is no way to downgrade the bootloader? That's the only difference that I see...

I think the appliance has been affected by "IOS Self-Signed Certificate Expiration on Jan. 1, 2020".

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card