Replies

Catalyst 2960-X series cannot wake up an ASUS H310l-Plus motherboard

MDupont09300
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a computer room connected to a CISCO Catalyst
2960-X series (called switch-B) and my Wakeonlan server is connected to
another catlyst 2960-X series (called switch-A).

Those 2 switches are in the same VLAN. So I only use the layer 2 of those
switches.

All computers have an ASUS Prime H310l-Plus R2.0 motherboard. The length
of the cable (categorie 6) is between 80 and 100 meters.

My problem is that :
I cannot wake up the computers with a magic packet sent by my wakeonlan server. So I did some tests:

- If I connect a computer behind the same switch-A than the wakeonlan
server, I can wake up the computer with a magic packet from my wakeonlan
server.

- If I let the computer in its room behind the switch-B and I use another
computer also connected to the switch-B, I cannot wake up the computer.

- If I install a Netgear ProSafe Plus Switch - GS108E (default
configuration) between the computer and the switch-B, I can wake up the
computer with a magic packet from my wakeonlan server (switch-A).

I precise that I am not working in the Network Team, I am just a system
administrator. So I have no access to the configuration of the switch-A
and the switch-B but the Network Team assures me that everything is the
same.

May be, the problem is the electrical level?

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Paul,

I don't put a switch between SW-A and SW-B but after SW-B. The problem is that all cables cross the building from SW-B to the computer room. So if I put a SW after SW-B, I need to buy a new rack, link the new SW with SW-B and ask to the another team some new network plugs on each table where you have a PC. This is a long work.

In a way, I have my answer, there is no special device to amplify the signal.

Thank you.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello

Seem a bit strange this docent work on SWB, especially when you say hosts are all on the same vlan, hence the same broadcast domain which should be applicable for WoL services.

Are the switches interconnected by an access port of trunk, do you have any port security applied?

Would you be able to post the configuration of both switches?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

As I told you, the nework Team is separated from the system Team. I cannot have the configuration of the switches-A and -B and I have no access to the racks where the switches are.

The last information that they sent me is the length of the cables. It seems that the length is between 95-120 meters. For RJ45, that's too much. I probably have some noise and a weak signal.

Do you know the signal specifications of the SW in this condition?

Is there a special device to install directly in the same rack than the switch to amplify the signal when you reach the 100m maximum length or is the only solution a new rack with SW near the computer room?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michelle

Hello

cable length can be an issue however after reading your OP again you say both switch’s are in the same vlan - but the question is are both the access ports in either switch A-B on the same vlan if not then that’s your problem as broadcast traffic don’t by default traverse different vlans and WoL messages I believe are broadcasted 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Can you get the network team to provide the output of these commands on both switches and post it for us to evaluate:

show cdp neighbor

show interface status

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Paul,

Yes, I am sure the switch-A and the switch-B are in the same VLAN if not, the magic packet doesn't cross my small SWitch Netgear.

SW-A -> SW-B -> SW Netgear -> Wake up

SW-A -> SW-B -> no wake up

I think that the signal is too low or degrated.

Do you known if there is a device which amplify the signal for a length between 100 - 150 meters?

Thank you.

Best regards

Hello

@MDupont09300 wrote:

Do you known if there is a device which amplify the signal for a length between 100 - 150 meters?

Yes attach an additional switch in between the path of swA-swB

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

I don't put a switch between SW-A and SW-B but after SW-B. The problem is that all cables cross the building from SW-B to the computer room. So if I put a SW after SW-B, I need to buy a new rack, link the new SW with SW-B and ask to the another team some new network plugs on each table where you have a PC. This is a long work.

In a way, I have my answer, there is no special device to amplify the signal.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Hello,

I am going to try. But I am not sure that I'll get an answer.

Thank you.

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card