Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 + Catalyst 3750X together in one Stack

~chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

if I read the Datasheet of Catalyst 3750X-Series-Switches it is possible to connect a new X-Switch to an existing and old Catalyst 3750-Series Stack.

What kind of requirements are needed? Only same IOS-Version in the hole Stack and if possible same Feature-Set? .... like in a normal NOT mixed Stack?

regards,

Chris

4 Replies 4

marcinwojcik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

"Cisco Catalyst 3750-E and Catalyst 3750-X  StackWise Plus and Cisco Catalyst 3750 StackWise switches can be  combined in the same stack. When this happens, the Cisco Catalyst  3750-E, or Catalyst 3750-Xswitches negotiate from StackWise Plus mode  down to StackWise mode. That is, they no longer perform destination  stripping. However, the Cisco Catalyst 3750-E and the Catalyst 3750-X  will retain its ability to perform local switching."

Take from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

It's worth of reading.

Right, die stacking-bandwith will be reduced from 64Gbps to 32Gbps.

But more interesting is the Patch-, Softwaremanagement and the stability of the stack.

The bootvar is different, So you can not use the "archive download-sw" command to update your stack because you have to use different tar-files. You have to disable the auto-copy-function. What is with bugs? Fixed in the X-series-IOS but not in the "old/normal"-IOS... and now?

So I don' think, that it is a good idea to use a mixed stack.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your plain 3750 is using, for example, IP Services feature set then you can get an IP Services feature set for the 3750E/3750X.  I wouldn't recommend using the "universal" when you are mixing them together.

Another thing, 3750/3750G with 16 mb of flash is only limited to 12.2(55)SE and later.  You can't use 12.2(58)SE or 15.0(1)SE.

You are right, I didn't pay attention to the size of the flash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card