Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 to 3560 via SFP

colin.macphail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if I have a compatibility issue when connecting a Catalyst 3560 to a 3750 using a CAB-SFP-50CM cable?

Both switches have a C3KX-NM-1G network module fitted.

I used this cable to link 2 3560's with no problems, but when I try to use it on the 3750 I get an error saying that the port has been disbled because a non compliant gigabit interface converter has been detected.I'm only asuming that the CAB-SFP-50CM isn't compatible with the 3750.

I've got them connected via a RJ45 patchlead, but the SFP cable would look way cooler

Thanks in advance, Colin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Strnad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Colin,

It sound as is this cable only compatible with a 3560.

I found this [1]:

SFP Module Patch Cable

The Catalyst 3560 switch supports the SFP module patch cable, a 1/2 meter, copper, passive cable with SFP module connectors at each end. The patch cable can connect two Catalyst 3560 switches in a cascaded configuration.

Part NumberDescription
CAB-SFP-50CM=Cisco Catalyst 3560 SFP Interconnect Cable (50 dcm)

132v.gif

[1] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af7.shtml

Regards

Richard

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Strnad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Colin,

It sound as is this cable only compatible with a 3560.

I found this [1]:

SFP Module Patch Cable

The Catalyst 3560 switch supports the SFP module patch cable, a 1/2 meter, copper, passive cable with SFP module connectors at each end. The patch cable can connect two Catalyst 3560 switches in a cascaded configuration.

Part NumberDescription
CAB-SFP-50CM=Cisco Catalyst 3560 SFP Interconnect Cable (50 dcm)

132v.gif

[1] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af7.shtml

Regards

Richard

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

That special cable is supposed to only be used on 3560s, but I've wondered whether it might function with unsupported transceiver command.  Have you tried that?

colin.macphail
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that, it's kind of what I thought.

Colin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card