Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750G-12S-E upgrade latest IOS images

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi to all,

I've a question regarding the Upgrade to the latest IOS image since this 3750G model is one of the latest which have on-board only 16MB of Flash...

I've seen that latest IOS .tar images with SSH and Web Device are about 15.5MB or more, so I've tried to install one of these with archive /overwrite feature without succeeding...then tried to free up all the flash space needed but I've had the same problem!!!

How should I proceed??? Are this image only for other 3750models????

Thx

Omar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I ran into this same problem on my 3750G switches. Use the lm image for the switch and use Cisco's Network Assistant for managment or go command line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version5_0/release/notes/OL12210a.html#wp670016

Catalyst 3750 or 3560 switches with a 16-MB flash memory can experience problems due to flash memory constraints, especially if they are using larger size images, such as c3750-ipservicesk9-tar, c3560-ipservicesk9-tar, c3750-ipbasek9-tar. or c3750-ipbasek9-tar images. These are the affected switches:
Catalyst 3560: WS-C3560-24PS and WS-C3560-48PS
Catalyst3750: WS-C3750-24PS, WS-C3750-24TS, WS-C3750-48PS, WS-C3750-48TS, WS-3750G-24T, WS-C3750G-12S , WS-C3750G-24WS, WS-C3750G-24TS, WS-C3750G-16TD

The workaround for these switches is to use the corresponding lm images, such as the c3750-ipserviceslmk9-tar or c3560-ipserviceslmk9-tar images, which require less memory. In future releases, images are expected to grow more in size, requiring more need for the lm images.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

archive /overwrite feature without succeeding...then tried to free up all the flash space needed but I've had the same problem!!!

Can you please post the output when you do the "archive download-sw /over"?

Do you think it was a good move that I deleted /force/recursive the .bin file from the 3750, then TFTP'd the new bin file to the 3750, so it would have no space issues?  It worked well for me

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi...

Not enough space please delete old images!!!!

If i delete using delete command and try w/out using /overwrite i've the sane results!!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I ran into this same problem on my 3750G switches. Use the lm image for the switch and use Cisco's Network Assistant for managment or go command line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version5_0/release/notes/OL12210a.html#wp670016

Catalyst 3750 or 3560 switches with a 16-MB flash memory can experience problems due to flash memory constraints, especially if they are using larger size images, such as c3750-ipservicesk9-tar, c3560-ipservicesk9-tar, c3750-ipbasek9-tar. or c3750-ipbasek9-tar images. These are the affected switches:
Catalyst 3560: WS-C3560-24PS and WS-C3560-48PS
Catalyst3750: WS-C3750-24PS, WS-C3750-24TS, WS-C3750-48PS, WS-C3750-48TS, WS-3750G-24T, WS-C3750G-12S , WS-C3750G-24WS, WS-C3750G-24TS, WS-C3750G-16TD

The workaround for these switches is to use the corresponding lm images, such as the c3750-ipserviceslmk9-tar or c3560-ipserviceslmk9-tar images, which require less memory. In future releases, images are expected to grow more in size, requiring more need for the lm images.

You'll need to delete the old IOS directory and archive the new one.  The 3750 does not "like" archive download-sw /overwrite.

For a 3750G-12S, I always use "archive tar /x".

pstruhnano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem. I have 4 stacked 3750G-12S-E series switches. All of them has only 16 MB flash memory. I need to upgrade IOS of this existing stack. What is the best solution ? I have to do it remotely as I don't have physical access to boxes.

I want to use TAR image, but not sure if the solution below will works:

1. delete IOS image from master switch

2. start upload with archive download-sw /overwrite.....

3. it should overwrite existing image on other members of stack?

Question i have.

1 - do I need to delete images from other member as well ? or auto upgrade will take care of the that ? 

Can someone advise please?

Thank you.

For 3750 switch with 16 mb flash, the highest IOS you can use is 12.2(55)SE9.  

You'll need to use the command "archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://[TFTP IP address]/filename.tar" command and NOTHING ELSE.  The "/overwrite" will remove old IOS found.

Thanks. I want to upgrade to 12.2(55)SE8

Just to confirm. If I understand then /overwrite will delete current IOS before the download new one ? Is that correct? I dont have to delete IOS first from master switch?

Just to confirm. If I understand then /overwrite will delete current IOS before the download new one ? Is that correct? I dont have to delete IOS first from master switch?

The answer to this question will depend on how the current (and post) IOS were stored. 

IF the IOS is stored as a BIN file in the root directory, you'll need to manually delete this BIN file because the "/overwrite" script will delete the first available IOS sub-directory.

If you are having doubts, post the output to the command "dir flash1:", "dir flash2:", "dir flash3:" and "dir flash4:".

Another thing, I've just re-read your post and you want to upgrade the IOS to four members of the stack?  If this is the case, then you need to add a few more "switch commands".  The command to upgrade the IOS, delete the OLD IOS sub-directory, to your stack is now:  

archive download-sw /overwrite /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4 tftp://[TFTP IP address]/filename.tar

All switches used TAR upgrade before. On each flash is the directory created. Currently I have 5 MB free space on each flash.

Now if I use archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://x.x.x.x/image.tar

what really happens then? When I put this command on switch, will this delete current IOS before the download start?  

what really happens then? When I put this command on switch, will this delete current IOS before the download start?  

Read my previous post.  

This will depend entire on how the current IOS is stored and upgraded.  

IF the previous upgrade was done via the TAR file, then the command I've specified will download the IOS to the memory (not flash) and then un-packed.  Once the un-packing is complete the old IOS directory will be deleted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: