cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst_3750G-48-E Can this switch run the advance services version of IOS

wesleyfry
Level 1
Level 1

Can this version of catalyst_3750G-48-E run the advance services version of IOS??

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the feature set of your IOS.

IP Base feature set will support RIPv1, RIPv2, IS-IS, OSPFv1.

IP Services will support OSPFv2, EIGRP, etc.

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your reply.  I may not have articulated my question completley.  I was told to reduce the MTU on a routed port on this switch that I would need to run the IP advances services version of IOS.  I am trying to confirm that this code will in fact run on the catalyst_3750G-48-E.

Thank you!

Wes

there is no switch that is called 3750G-48-E however there is a WS-C3750G-48-TS-E

if that is the switch then yes the E stands for EMI wich is the advenced version of the ios image for this switchtype.

I know you can make the MTU size up to jumbo frames in this type, but I do not know that you can make them smaller than the standard 1500.

Good luck

HTH

You are correct on the switch type being WS-C3750G-48-TS-E.  Thank you for deciphering my description.  So what I am trying to determine is that if I can run a version of code on this switch where I can reduce the MTU to 1460. 

So what I am trying to determine is that if I can run a version of code on this switch where I can reduce the MTU to 1460.

Yes and no.

Let me explain.  When you configure the MTU to be 1460 you will configure ALL PORTS as the command is a global command.  The nearest switch that can do per interface MTU is the 6500 ... I think. 

Hi again

I am sorry but there is something that I do not understand here.

what exactly are you trying to do ? or rather why.

The thing is that IF you change the MTU size of the switch to lower than the ethernet standard 1500 that will have a lot of (atleast what I would think) undesired effects.

One of them beein that every standard ethernet packet that arrives at this switch will be split in two and thus it will lower the theoretical possible speed of this switch towards the rest of the networks by almost half, OR you will have to change the MTU size of each and every unit in the network.

why would you want to do that ?

normally one would want to set the mtu size higher than the standard since you do not want packets to be fragmented (split) and you want more payload in the packets compared to the header.

So my question would be

Are you trying to change the mtu size of the packets going through the switch or are you trying to change the mtu size of the packets that originates from the switch ?

Good luck

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card