cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Rising star

Catalyst 3750V2 PoE Maximum IP Phones

hi guys,

We have a  WS-C3750V2-48PS-S Catalyst 3750V2 48 10/100 PoE + 4 SFP Standard Image.

Now, can I plug in like 48 phones? Would that be a problem or do I need a special power requirement to support that.

So, in other words. What are maximum number of IP phones( Avaya)  that can be plugged into the switch.

Appreciate your help,

Regards,

Kishore

3 REPLIES 3
Enthusiast

Re: Catalyst 3750V2 PoE Maximum IP Phones

With that switch you have 370W of inline power that you can use.  That is enough to power 48 PoE Class 2 phones.  However, it can only power about 24 PoE Class 3 phones.  (A class 2 phone uses about 7W and a class 3 phone uses about 15.4W.)

You need to determine if the Avaya phones are PoE class 2 or PoE class 3.  If they are class 2, you can power 48 phones with that switch.  If they are class 3, you will need a second switch to accomodate 48 phones.

You can also run "show inline power" on the switch to see the power consumption.

Highlighted
Rising star

Hi jmunoz,

Thanks for your response. I did read that off the Datasheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/data_sheet_c78-531031.html

Power over Ethernet

The Cisco Catalyst 3750 v2 24-port PoE switch can support Class 3 PoE or 15.4 watts (W) of PoE power on all 24 ports. Taking advantage of Cisco Catalyst Intelligent Power Management, the Cisco Catalyst 3750 v2 48-port PoE configurations can deliver the necessary power to support 24 ports at 15.4W, 48 ports at 7.7W, or any combination in between.

The Avaya phones we going to use I believe are class 2. Will confirm and let you know

However, my main concern is that if I plug them in all the 48ports would I need anything else cuz its means that all the inline power is drained.

Would I have any issues later on, any known caveats or somethig that you guys have come across in terms of maxing out the capacity

Regards

Kishore

Highlighted
Enthusiast

You wouldn't need anything else.  If you're using PoE class 3 phones and max out the power all that happens is the next phone you plug in won't power up.

Do the Avaya phones have a color screen?  With Cisco phones, it seems like that's the big difference between class 2 and class 3 phones.  If your Avaya phones have greyscale screens then they are likely class 2 phones.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad