Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750x - 5 switches stack config help

aravinda099
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Does anyone have and willing to share some sort of config template for a 3750x switch stack configuration please ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello there, no special configuration required for stacking switches together. Just ensure all switches have the same IOS and that the stacking cables are plugged in the stack-ports correctly.

When you power the whole stack up, the switches will identify other members in the stack-ring and election will take place on who becomes the master.

When successful boot has completed you will find that all switches appear as one logical switch I.e. have formed into a stack.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

aravinda099 wrote:

Questions I have are ,  when I am configuring , do I have to have all 5 Switches powered up  ? Also , do I have to assign ports , tag them seperate on each switch i.e . Fa1/0/23 , Fa 5/0/23 etc.. Or can I just configure 1/0/23 and then power the rest up to propogate the config and ports assigned ?

No, you don't need all 5 switches to configure for them (as Leo already explained, you can pre-provision).

The ports on each switch are prefixed with the switch's logical number in the stack.

If you correctly pre-provision, as other stack units come on-line they will use the configuration for their ports.

PS:

If you've never worked with a 3750 stack, but if you have worked on a Cisco chassis switch, it's very similar.  Stack members are configured much like a chassis's line cards.  Global commands apply to the whole logical stack.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anyone have and willing to share some sort of config template for a 3750x switch stack configuration please ?

What are you trying to do? 

Just 5 VLANs, Two ports for uplink as an EtherChannel , Access ports.

Questions I have are ,  when I am configuring , do I have to have all 5 Switches powered up  ? Also , do I have to assign ports , tag them seperate on each switch i.e . Fa1/0/23 , Fa 5/0/23 etc.. Or can I just configure 1/0/23 and then power the rest up to propogate the config and ports assigned ?

when I am configuring , do I have to have all 5 Switches powered up

You can pre-provision the entire stack from the master.

You just do this:

config t

switch 2 prov

end

Once you do this, you can start entering interface configurations for the 2nd switch.

Thanks.

So I can bring one switch at a time and configure that and then do interface configs for each switch ?

So I can bring one switch at a time and configure that and then do interface configs for each switch ?

No, you can pre-configure the entire stack from the stack master.

You can do the following:

config t

switch 2 prov

switch 3 prov

switch 4 prov

switch 5 prov

end

And then you can configure the switch port interfaces.

Yeah with this, just be sure to increase the priority just in case so you don't lose your config, LOL.

Also to configure the switches the correct numbers when they become part of the stack.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello there, no special configuration required for stacking switches together. Just ensure all switches have the same IOS and that the stacking cables are plugged in the stack-ports correctly.

When you power the whole stack up, the switches will identify other members in the stack-ring and election will take place on who becomes the master.

When successful boot has completed you will find that all switches appear as one logical switch I.e. have formed into a stack.

Hope this helps

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

aravinda099 wrote:

No, you don't need all 5 switches to configure for them (as Leo already explained, you can pre-provision).

The ports on each switch are prefixed with the switch's logical number in the stack.

If you correctly pre-provision, as other stack units come on-line they will use the configuration for their ports.

PS:

If you've never worked with a 3750 stack, but if you have worked on a Cisco chassis switch, it's very similar.  Stack members are configured much like a chassis's line cards.  Global commands apply to the whole logical stack.

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I would recommend preconfiguring as much as you can by using the above commands. Just connect the Master first boot it up, then connect the 2nd switch with cables then power up the second switch and make sure everything is operational. And repeat the process for however many switches you have

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco