cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750X OSPF support in IP Base image?

sossie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out if I need to order the "IP services" image for a couple of C3750-X.  I need to run OSPF on these switches, but find the IOS image requirements on Cisco contradict.

At the top of the data sheet it says:

• Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) in IP Base image

On the product info page it says:

• IP Base: Enterprise Access Layer 3 Switching, including OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) for routed access
  • But in lots of other places it says you need 'IP services' for OSPF.

As the IP services IOS is quite a bit more expensive I would like to avoid buying it. What image do I need to run OSPF?

Cheers, Simon.

7 Replies 7

mahmoodmkl
    Level 7
    Level 7

Hi,

U need to have IP services image to run this.

Thanks

ranraju
    Cisco Employee
    Cisco Employee

Hopefully this document answers your queries:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

"The LAN Base feature set offers enhanced  intelligent services that includes comprehensive Layer 2 features, with  up-to 255 VLANs. The IP Base feature set provides baseline enterprise  services in addition to all LAN Base features, with 1K VLANs. IP Base  also includes the support for routed access, StackPower, and MACsec. The  IP Services feature set provides full enterprise services that includes  advanced Layer 3 features such as Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing  Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway  Protocol (BGP), Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM), and IPv6 routing  such as OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6."

To know more about the features supported in each feature set you could use the Cisco Feature Navigator (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/)

Hope this answers your question on this thread.
    (please rate helpful posts)
    Regards,
    ranraju

Hi all, thanks for the replies

I have found the answer.

IOS ver 12.2(55)SE now allows OSPF with the limitation of allowing only one area in the IP Base image. For more than one area you need IP services.

Thanks, Simon.

chrismarget
    Level 1
    Level 1

On the 4x00 platform "ospf for routed access" has a limit of 200 dynamically learned routes.

May be the same on 3750X?

Somewhere I got the impression that the 200 route limit was lifted with 12.2(54)SG, but I can't find documentation of that now.

$$$ for a feature upgrade vs. some OSPF configery.

I'd go with "area x stub no-summary" :-)

Leo Laohoo
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

OSPFv1 is supported in the 12.2(55)SE IP Base.  Please understand that OSPFv1 and OSPFv2/OSPFv3 are incompatible.  If you want to use  OSPFv2/OSPFv3 then IP Services feature set is required.

Josh Edwards
    Level 4
    Level 4

I know this post is quite old, however, I found it while looking for the answer myself...  here is a Cisco document that I found:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps6969/ps5012/product_bulletin_c25-614546_ps10081_Products_Bulletin.html

"OSPF for Routed Access: Starting from Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE, the IP Base image supports a new feature called OSPF for Routed Access. OSPF for Routed Access is designed specifically to enable you to extend Layer 3 routing capabilities to the wiring closet. It supports only one OSPFv2 and one OSPFv3 instance, with a maximum number of 200 dynamically learned routes."

Pando
    Level 1
    Level 1

Full OSPFv2 capability in IP Base image is fully implemented in IOS Release 15 and above. It's been there for several years now. This applies to all Catalyst 3560 and 3750 (including the -X) models.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card