Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3850 Upgrading Confusion

mrjdh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently had the opportunity to upgrade a 3850, and whilst it wasn't part of a stack, it did get me wondering on the process.

I'm getting myself a little confused when it comes to the following commands (note for newer versions of IOS-XE)

1. request platform software package install switch all file flash: <IMAGE NAME>

AND

2. request platform software package install auto-upgrade

I understand that command number 1 would install the <IMAGE NAME> to all members in the stack..doesn't command number 2 do the same thing?

Ah hang on, I might have it - would command 1 only work across all switches providing they are successfully part of the stack (so same IOS across all switches, whereas command number 2 would allow for upgrade across all switches physically in the stack but haven't 'joined' officially because they don't yet have matching IOS versions?

I'd just like to get it straightened out for my notes.

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you understanding correct.

but best practice always upgrades offline  -in line with the Stack version and join to exiting stack i prefer and safest way.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you understanding correct.

but best practice always upgrades offline  -in line with the Stack version and join to exiting stack i prefer and safest way.

BB

Thanks Balaji,

That's a nice result after an hour and a half of research!

To be honest, your time not got wasted, instead, you learn new things in technology, which is useful for that hour save many hours when really required.

Learning never ends, glad it helpfull.

BB

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The 3850, includes a feature called “Auto-Upgrade” which might be familiar if you are migrating from the 3750 series platform.  The goal of this feature is to ensure that any newly added switch will automatically be provisioned by the stack members with the running IOS-XE version.  One caveat to note however is that prior to 3.3.1, this feature did not work  (Tracked by defect CSCui69999 ), and so you must ensure that your existing stack is running at least 3.3.1 in INSTALL mode.

see link:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/using-the-auto-upgrade-feature-on-the-cisco-catalyst-3850/ta-p/3140319

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card