Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500 as Layer 2 Switch but with VRF

DenyAnyAny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is it possible to run a Catalyst 4500 as pure Layer 2 Switch, i.e. disabling "ip routing", but still managing the switch via Fa1, i.e. the defautl mgmtVrf vrf ?

I tried the following:

!

no ip routing

!

interface FastEthernet1

ip vrf forwarding mgmtVrf

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

ip route vrf mgmtVrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.254

I was not able to reach the Switch even from the same subnet. Only after enabling ip routing I could manage the Switch. I haven't found any command to set ip default-gateway for a vrf. Any workaround to keep routing disabled, but still manageable via VRF?

Regards

3 Replies 3

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

if you want to run a VRF you must have IP routing enabled

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/15.02SG/configuration/guide/vrf.html#wp1045301

please rate the post if helpful

yes but I don't need it for the "default" VRF!

a VRF is essentially a routing function, it allows you to have multiple instances of a routing table.

you cannot have a routing table if you do not have routing enabled

you can disable routing and still manage the switch using a VLAN SVI interface.  what you have tried to do is enable a layer 3 interface but not have any layer 3 functions enabled.

you could use the follwoing config;

no ip routing

!

vlan 10

!

interface vlan 10

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

inteface FastEthernet1/1

no ip address

switchport

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

!

you will then be able to manage the switch via VLAN 10 in the same way you would be able to manage any other Layer 2 switch without the need for a VRF

If you want or need to use a VRF then you will have to enable IP routing

Please rate post if helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco