Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4506-E, how to change from oversubscribed to performance mode

klasner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I'm going to configure two Catalyst 4506-E with SUP-7E for VSS,

running cat4500e-universal.SPA.03.05.01.E.152-1.E1.bin and newest ROMMON.

It is also installed in each one  a WS-X4712-SFP + E.

For the VSL I want to use a 10Gig port on the SUP and a 10Gig port on the WS-X4712-SFP + E.

Since the WS-X4712-SFP + E ports are oversubscribed (2,5:1) per default,
I would like to reconfigure this to performance mode (for one of the four port groups).

The commands required I have already seen this days, but unfortunately can not remember where ...  :-(

There are many examples for the 65xx but not for the 45xx.

Can someone please help what are the correct commands?

Thanks for any advice

regards

Klaus

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm not sure or at least haven't seen this command option available on a 4500 VSS line card, now as you know there are 12 ports on the 4712 in 4 port groups of 3 ports each. You should select one port from each group for 10G, will give you 4x10G non-blocking performance.

Select one port from Port groups (1-3), (4-6), (7-9), (10-12).

If you use one 10G, the other two ports within the same port group will be 1G, then you end up with 12Gbps per port group which is the backplane connection  turning the card into totally non-oversubscribed mode.

Important point on the 4712 - it works only on the 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R+E and 4510R+E chassis. It does not work in 4507/4510R-E chassis.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Klaus

The ws-x4712  has a 48Gbps connection to the switch fabric. This is broken down into 4 port groupings. Each port group gets 12Gbps to the switch fabric. So if you use 12Gbps or less for each port group then you have no oversubscription. If you go over 12Gbps per port grouping then you are oversubscribed.

You don't need to tell the port group this, you simply make sure you are not using more than 12Gbps per grouping and that is it. Where the confusion may be coming in is that on the 6500 Cisco introduced a command that actually disabled certain ports so that you could not possibly oversusbscibe a port grouping. But by only using 12Gbps per port group on the 4712 you are effectively doing the same thing, you are simply not actually disabling the ports.

Note that prior to that command on the 6500 if you wanted to ensure there was no oversubscription you had to do it the same way Leo has described ie. you had to work out the port groupings, how much bandwidth each port group had to the switch fabric and then only connect enough devices so that they could not generate more bandwidth than the switch fabric connection.

Hope that makes sense.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm not sure or at least haven't seen this command option available on a 4500 VSS line card, now as you know there are 12 ports on the 4712 in 4 port groups of 3 ports each. You should select one port from each group for 10G, will give you 4x10G non-blocking performance.

Select one port from Port groups (1-3), (4-6), (7-9), (10-12).

If you use one 10G, the other two ports within the same port group will be 1G, then you end up with 12Gbps per port group which is the backplane connection  turning the card into totally non-oversubscribed mode.

Important point on the 4712 - it works only on the 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R+E and 4510R+E chassis. It does not work in 4507/4510R-E chassis.

Hope this helps.

Hi Leo,

thanks for the explanation.

I'm not sure how the port group knows that she should operate in performance mode.

As far as I know is the oversubscribed mode the default.

It is sufficient to put in one 10gb and two 1 gb transceiver per port group or

are additional configurations necessary.

thanks again

Klaus

The ws-x4712  has a 48Gbps connection to the switch fabric. This is broken down into 4 port groupings. Each port group gets 12Gbps to the switch fabric. So if you use 12Gbps or less for each port group then you have no oversubscription. If you go over 12Gbps per port grouping then you are oversubscribed.

You don't need to tell the port group this, you simply make sure you are not using more than 12Gbps per grouping and that is it. Where the confusion may be coming in is that on the 6500 Cisco introduced a command that actually disabled certain ports so that you could not possibly oversusbscibe a port grouping. But by only using 12Gbps per port group on the 4712 you are effectively doing the same thing, you are simply not actually disabling the ports.

Note that prior to that command on the 6500 if you wanted to ensure there was no oversubscription you had to do it the same way Leo has described ie. you had to work out the port groupings, how much bandwidth each port group had to the switch fabric and then only connect enough devices so that they could not generate more bandwidth than the switch fabric connection.

Hope that makes sense.

Jon

Jon,

your answer, along with Leo's answer got me back on the right track.

Thanks for your excelent explanations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: