cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4900M and Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L interconnection

Andrey128
Level 1
Level 1

I have  Catalyst 4900M  as distribution level and several Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L  as access devices.

I am going to use "WS-X4908-10GE 8 Port 10 Gigabit Module Switch"

With CVR-X2-SFP10G converter module I can get 10Gig on optical ports from  Catalyst 4900M side, but  Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L support only 1 Gig optical standard on their SFP ports. Will it work (optical 10Gig<->1Gig) or any other suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You've got an X2 port, don't you?  If you do, then why don't you purchase a TwinGig converter.  

The Cisco TwinGig Converter Module (below) converts a single 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 interface into two Gigabit Ethernet port slots that can be populated with SFP optics, enabling customers to use Gigabit Ethernet SFPs on the same card in combination with 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 optics.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will it work (optical 10Gig<->1Gig) or any other suggestions?

Cisco SFP/SFP+ only work at single speed.   Catalyst 2960S-48FPD supports SFP+.

yes, I saw that Catalyst 2960S-48FPD supports SFP+, but I am restricted with a certain list, where there is no such model.

Maybe other switch modules/converters etc can be used?

"X2-10GB-SR Transceiver Module" or other type of modules for 4900M can be used for interconnecting with Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L ?

"X2-10GB-SR Transceiver Module" or other type of modules for 4900M can be used for interconnecting with Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L ?

No you can't. 

ok, then seems I should choose another model instead of 4900M to be able to connect Catalyst 2960S-48FPS-L via optical links ...

Or other ideas?

You've got an X2 port, don't you?  If you do, then why don't you purchase a TwinGig converter.  

The Cisco TwinGig Converter Module (below) converts a single 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 interface into two Gigabit Ethernet port slots that can be populated with SFP optics, enabling customers to use Gigabit Ethernet SFPs on the same card in combination with 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 optics.

Good option!

But I cannot find whether it is compatible with 4900M device

yes, supports:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4900-series-switches/AAG_Cat_4900M.pdf

but it seems only 4 of 8 available ports can be filled with TwinGigs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card