cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4948-10GE CLI blank and will not allow inputs

kcullen88
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 4948-10GE and using putty, I attempt to console in but when the CLI opens it shows only a blank screen. Not even the boot-up info is displayed. It will allow you to type but it is not actually receiving the inputs it just displays the characters on the screen. I have tried resetting to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Flow Control settings is incorrect:  Should be XON/XOFF.  

An example of what it should look like can be found HERE.

Unfortunately that did not solve the issue. The XON/XOFF is the default flow control setting so this did not offer a solution. I have also cycled through all of the Flow Control options with the same result.

I presume you have tried this putty setting on other Cisco equipment and it works?

Yes, This switch just came to me as I am building a personal lab to for my cert practice.

@kcullen88 wrote:

Yes, This switch just came to me as I am building a personal lab to for my cert practice.

That is not the answer to my question.  

My question is:  Have you tried the putty settings on OTHER Cisco appliances?

Yes. I was merely stating the the switch was the newest addition to my lab. I also have a 2911-SEC/K9 which the putty settings that I work just fine.

The console port could be faulty. 

Pop the lid, some Cisco appliances have another console port under the lid.

After troubleshooting what I thought was every possible lead, I have discovered that the issue was as simple as this, do not use a USB 3.0 port. switch to an older port on the back of my PC and now I am up and running. Thank you all for your support and advice as I worked through on how to resolve this issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card