Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 Online Insertion and Removal

Good day.

I need to get out WS-X6748-GE-TX from one of my core 6500 switches and replace it with WS-X6548-GE-TX (need 6748 mod in other place). And I am interested will configuration for ports on 6748 be inherited by 6548 board or configuration will be cleared?

In Cisco documentation stays that:

If the same type of module is inserted, it       will use the already configured module configuration. If another type of module       is inserted into the slot, the module configuration is cleared.

As for me WS-X6548-GE-TX and WS-X6748-GE-TX same type of module - 48 port gigabit cooper (them have different architecture from other side but this can be explained as same type modules but different generations), but maybe in quotation i adduce supposed that same type == exactly same module, so if i want to preserve configuration i should replace WS-X6748-GE-TX with another one WS-X6748-GE-TX.

Can smb clarify? Maybe smb already tried this on practice?

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Believe, more or less, replacement card needs to be "like" card for it to pick up prior config.

If not (such as your 6748 being replaced by a 6548), just save that part of the config and reapply after you insert the replacement line card.  Note: depending on your interface configs, you may need to amend/edit the interface configurations.  (For example, interface QoS statements can vary between 6500 line cards due to their different architectures.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card