Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have 6500 with these modules:

1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE

Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC

10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6348-RJ-45

10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6348-RJ-45

The problem is that, for some reason Miltilayer Switch module is not more available, after the switch was in production for 7 to 10 days.

Does anyone know what maight be

a problem? Hardware or...

I reboot device and then same thing hapening...

Thx

4 Replies 4

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Do you mean that you cant issue the session 15 command to access the MSFC?

You can try accessing the console of the switch and then issuing the switch console command. This will switch to the console line on the MSFC. It may be that the msfc has booted into rommon for some reason, and trying to telnet to it via the session 15 command will not work because it is not actually fully booted.

To switch back to the console of the supervisor engine after hit ctrl + C three times.

Hope this helps

Martin

when i issue show modules, i cant see module 15.

then i reboot device and it is there and work normal for 10 days, and then problem back again.

P.S.

is it possible to migrate CatOS to IOS?

Hi

It is possible to convert from Hybrid to Native IOS on the 6500's please see the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

However, I would suggest that this is likely to be an issue with the msfc if this is a recurring issue, and should be looked into rather than just trying to convert it. The conversion is unlikely to fix the problem is there is an underlying issue with the card.

It is also worth baring in mind that the sup has gone EOL, and it would be prudent to upgrade your hardware.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd8017a5d1.html

Hope this helps

Martin

Thnx

very helpful links...

i will try upgrade ios of MSFC module for now. if that dont be helpful i will try with converting.

have you some links about how upgrade ios and catos?

thnx

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card