cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 - Replace 8-TenGig module with different one (16 TenGig)

Map23
Level 1
Level 1

Dear forum, 

I searched for specific guide for this topic, but I don't understand if is possible replace module WS-X6708-10GE (8 TenGig) with 

WS-X6716-10GE (16 TenGig) without reboot. 

I read Cisco OIR guide: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/97065-oir-mod-catsw.html#erase_config

And I found this info:

"The switch can bring only an identical replacement module online. If the replacement module is different from the removed module, you must configure it before the switch can bring it online."

So, for me isn't clear if my replacement need reboot or not. 

Can someone help me ? 

Thanks, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, oops, 6708 has DFC3C, not DFC3B (thanks).

Yes, with both cards having the same DFC3C, I wouldn't expect any needs beyond reconfiguration of the ports that were in use by the 6708.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That articles means, a "like" kind of line card can be swapped without need to reconfigure.

Otherwise, you'll need to reconfigure the replacement cards ports. I.e. besides the need to reconfigure the extra eight 10g ports, you'll need to reconfigure the first eight 10g ports, even if the port numbering doesn't change from them.

As to a need for reboots, I recall there are some corner cases that require a chassis reboot. For example(?), if your line cards have DFCs on them, and one was a non-XL while the other is a XL, or perhaps if the DFC series differs. (Your 6708 comes standard with a DFC3B [or DFC3B-XL], I recall. If replacement has same DFC or CFC, I believe you can just do the OIR.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If I remembered correctly, those cards support OIR so it's OK to swap out the cards without a reboot.

Thank you very much, 

here my modules model: 

1 - WS-X6708-10GE ( WS-F6700-DFC3C )  - installed 

2 - WS-X6716-10GE ( WS-F6700-DFC3C ) 

So, as for you suggestion, I think that module can be replaced with OIR with interfaces reconfiguration. 

I'll plan actions without reboot. 

Thank you for your help. 

Ah, oops, 6708 has DFC3C, not DFC3B (thanks).

Yes, with both cards having the same DFC3C, I wouldn't expect any needs beyond reconfiguration of the ports that were in use by the 6708.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card