Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500

Susan Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a best practice stated someplace that you should reload the

catalyst 6500 switch at some time interval. Mine have been running for over a year

without a reload and due to some other work that will be occuring this

weekend I will have the opportunity to reload them if needed.

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Susan,

There is no need to reboot the switch or router after certain time frame, if you don't have to.

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I encourage regularly rebooting the 6500.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I reboot everytime I upgrade the IOS. It's usually 2-3 times per year. It's not because it "needs" it, just more of a warmy fuzzy for me.

I reboot everytime I upgrade the IOS. It's usually 2-3 times per year.

And I thought I was bad in upgrading the IOS for the 6500 everytime.  He he he ...

I have the uncanny knack of finding bugs in the 6500.

I have the uncanny knack of finding bugs in the 6500.

I now name thee "Bug Master".

Satya Narra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Just a quick checks that I usually do when rebooting the box are the following,(assuming that you are running IOS)

Show boot <-- Check the config-reg,  check the image location and image name.

rem  com sw sh boot <--- Check the same as above.

The second command come as a important step because, the SP is the first one to boot up.

Regards,

Hi,

theres is no need to reboot the switch if you don´t have (e.g. IOS-Update, etc.).

But why not - in this case its running for just 1 year and i don´t think a reboot could cause any damage.

For Switches running up to 5 or 7 years without a reboot i would definiteley say no to a reboot. The danger of killing any hardware would be to big.

Good Luck for the weekend.

Thanks!

This is the first time I've used this service (blog) I may have to use it again!  Its kind of fun to see everyone's ideas.

For Switches running up to 5 or 7 years without a reboot i would definiteley say no to a reboot.

I ain't going into an argument with you but I will never have a Cisco appliance running > 1 year without a reboot.

The danger of killing any hardware would be to big.

You have no idea how many of our routers and switches died because of a power failure.  So it doesn't matter for me and I don't mind.  Management have to swallow the fact that things fail and if they don't want to see this happen regularly then they need to invest in high-quality UPS, power surge protectors and a power generator.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card