Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6506 SUP1A w/ MSFC & PFC - ROMmon request

Hello,

How can I get to the RP ROMmon from the SP ROMmon after a hybrid to native upgrade failure ?

Cheers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

From SP rommon, I don't think you can access RP rommon direclty.

First, boot the SP with native IOS image. Once it report "Console ownership changed to Route Processor" in the bootup messages, hit cntl+C to break into RP rommon.

Hope this helps.

- Yogesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

From SP rommon, I don't think you can access RP rommon direclty.

First, boot the SP with native IOS image. Once it report "Console ownership changed to Route Processor" in the bootup messages, hit cntl+C to break into RP rommon.

Hope this helps.

- Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

Thank you very much for this prompt and useful feedback.

I managed to get to the RP ROMmon using this method. Is there a way to delete files in ROMmon mode ?

I wanted to xmodem one the two files (c6msfc-jsv-mz.121-1.E.bin) I previously deleted in configuration mode but the xmodem session froze... Maybe not enough space available in bootflash. No TFTP method neither to help in ROMmon

I am definitly struggling to recover this switch without using any external Class C Filesystem formatted PCMCIA card. I think I have no other solution than using one anyway. I'll try to find a tool if it exists than can format a 16M Class A Filesystem  PCMCIA card into a Class C one. Any idea ?

Thanks once again for your efforts.

Kind regards,

Chris

Chris,

I am not aware any method other than xmodem.

I assume there is no bootloader image in the MSFC. Please confirm.

You are right, Cat6500 Sup1 engine needs Class C file system. I have never formatted Class A to C, and not aware of any tool.

- Yogesh

Hi,

I have the following now :

In SP ROMmon :

rommon 1 > dir bootflash:
        File size           Checksum   File name
           15966588 bytes (0xf3a17c)   0x61c1613    c6sup11-jk2s-mz.121-27b.E1.bin

In RP ROMmon :

rommon 1 > dir bootflash:

-----> Nothing in RP ROMmon

When I try to xmodem c6msfc-boot-mz.121-27b.E1.bin in RP ROMmon, it is fine for a 1 minute then the session freezes et it got back to SP ROMmon:

rommon 2 > xmodem -s 9600
     Starting xmodem transfer.  Press Ctrl+C to cancel.
     Transferring c6msfc-boot-mz.121-27b.E1.bin...
        5%      96 KB    0 KB/s 00:40:24 ETA   0 Errors

Any idea to revover the switch ?

Regards,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card