Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509 interface alarm

rwaqanitoga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am getting alarms on Solarwind indicating interface down on  "GigabitEthernet 4/7 - Gi4/d1" and "GigabitEthernet 4/8 - Gi4/d2" from our core switch 6509.

Remote login to the switch does not show the interfaces when I do the "sh run" command. Now I am at site trying to identify and diagnose this fault.

Looking at the numbering on the switch, it indicates to me the card where these alarms come from is from the 'intrusion dectection module'

Please assist on how I may login and identify this interfaces and rectify these alarms.

Looking forward to a timely assistance.

Best Regards,

Ruveni

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Intrusion detection module usually does not have any physical ports.  Do a "sh module" that will tell you what moudle you have in slot 4.  It appears that it is a gig module.

also, if you want to see if the port is up try

sh ip int bri gi4/7

HTH

Thanks Reza for a promt answer.

Am attching the sh module ( indicating module 4 has got 8 ports)

Sh results indicates things are ok, or what you reckon?

Now, how do I clear the alarms which indicates on solarwind NMS as

interface down on gi4/7 and 4/8

Best regards,

Ruveni

Hi Ruveni,

The ports look good, and the module itself also appears to be functioning correctly.  I don't know how to clear the alarms on solarwind NMS, but there is got to be a way to do it. Is the blade 4 passing traffic? Also it may not be related to this at all, but I noticed that you are running SXI3 image.  This image is at least 3 years old. 

HTH

Hi Reza,

Interface gi4/7 passes traffic till it went down about 12hrs ago. But do not notice any services affected but need to clear this alarm as it was reported by our NOC.

Traffic was around 50Mbps on gi4/7 before it went down.

I have attached the 'sh int trunk' and 'sh int status' result.

Note the status is 'not connected' . I believe if we can change that to 'connected' on the s6509 then alarm on solarwind will be cleared.

But just need to figure out how to do that right now...

Any assistance will be greatly valued.

Thanks in advance,

Ruveni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card