cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6800ia

abbasali5
Level 1
Level 1

How many switches can be stacked with Catalyst 6800ia.?  CCO states three, but I read some where that up to five clients switches can be stacked.  Couple of the IDFs in my design has port requirements above 144 which means that I can't use 688ia unless I put (2) sets of 6800ia stacks.  Don't have enough fiber run so (2) sets of 6800ia won't work either.  

Please advise!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently, can stack up to three (3) 6800ia switches.  Take note, I said "currently".  

If this is still in the design stage, I recommend you engage with your Cisco SE/AM.  There's something coming in 2016.

Just read that with IOS 15.2(1) SY, you can stack up to 5 switches:

The guide also states that currently you must use 10Gb link between Parent/Client, but some other docs at CCO suggests that 1Gb can also work.

Thanks!

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

And that version also now supports up to 42 units, overall.

Ya, but I think 42 units per parent switch single or dual must be in VSS mode.    Which means that if I have (4) distribution layer switches per building (6807 or 6880), each block can support up to 42 units either stacked or single so total of 168 swtiches or 8,064 ports.

I am assuming that you could put multiple parent switches at the distribution layer per building supporting IDFs in each building.  Then connect distribution layer swithces in old classical way 10Gb LACP to (2) Core swtiches.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

That's my understanding too, i.e. the parent swtich must be in VSS mode, although you don't actually need the pair.

Also correct, as each IA parent can host 42 switches, at 48 edge ports per switch, that's up to 2,016 IA ports per distribution, or your 8,064 for four of them.

Besides the 6807 and 6880 the 6840 is supposed to support IAs too.

Lastly, although you noted many of your IDFs don't have the fiber runs to support multiple stacks, if you did have those runs, you also have the option of activately using up 8 links per IA stack.

PS:

Although you asked about IAs, again if your fiber runs are limited, you could use a stackable switch like the 3650 or 3850 in the IDF.  You can stack much larger or cascade stacks in the IDF.

Hi All,

Just to add on to your discussion.

There are multiple iterations as well:

6807 does not support 2016 ports, only the 6880.

To support 2016 ports/42 IAClients and 5memberstacks you need to run the latest 15.2 code.

15.1 code support only 3 stack members and less ports.

There is also some HW issues depending on the features you need on those 2016 ports. If you need to run dot1x on all ports, you need to use the 6880-X model which has more memory etc than the 6880-X-LE model.

Ciao and good luck

JC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card