cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200/9300 inter-VLAN routing | Essentials vs Advantage

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

@Reza Sharifi I need to know whether Catalyst 9200/9300 supports inter-VLAN routing with DNA Essentials OR the Advantage is required for this basic L3 functionality. 

19 Replies 19

Found the solution. Add all the layer 3 addresses to route but the do not work until you have a active trunk port or you activate a port to that VLAN.

Hi Vibha, I checked with GVE, they also confirmed that with network essential, inter-VLAN routing will work. Can you check in LAB and confirm.!

Hi,

You are right Essentials it should be,

Regards,

Vibha

All this seems clear as mud. I just booted up a c9200-48P-E for the first time, created an OSPF process, an SVI in area 0, and a trunk port, and got a neighbor relationship with the local router. And it looks like I got the whole routing table, also.

This is on Network Essentials. So what part of OSPF does Network Advantage do that Essentials doesn't? We don't have DNA anywhere, and no plans right now to even investigate it. We do, however want to do OSPF and be able to run up to four VRFs per switch (VRF-lite; we are not buying any -L models just for the higher number of VRFs).

Do we need to care about Network Essentials VS Advantage? I'm inclined to get Advantage if there is no price difference just because.

With Network Essentials you are limited to a single OSPFv2 instance (and a single OSPFv3 instance if you are running IPv6/OSPFv3).  You are also limited to 1000 dynamically learned routes (I am not sure whether this is 1000 OSPFv2 & 1000 OSPFv3 or whether its a combined maximum though?).

It is designed for 'routed edge' access switches.  If you have it designed well (stub areas etc) or your OSPF routing table is less than 1000 routes you'll be fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card