cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200 license needed for plain switching?

Michael Muenz
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I'm searching for a replacement of a C2960X stack, small company with only 2 switches. I was thinking about the 9200 line, but when calling TechData they told me I need to purchase yearly DNA license for it. My thought was, ok, there is Essentials and Advantage, these should be perpetual, but why do I need all the DNA or SD-WAN access stuff what ever. The customer doesn't need fancy guy or central management, just a stack and a CLI :)

Do I really need to sell them yearly licenses for switches where only 1% of features are used? (Vlan, trunk, port-security, stacking)

Thanks

Michael

Michael Please rate all helpful posts
34 Replies 34

I have the same problem.one of my customers planed to replace their ageing C2960S with C9200L and old C3750 with C9500 to build a new Campus LAN in traditional way (L2 trunk and SVI on Core) with out any fancy Campus SD-ACCESS . as i read the DATA-SHEET i was sure that i only needed perpetual network Essential license without any DNA license.but when i go to Cisco BUILD&PRICE to make the BOM it forced me to select the term-based DNA license. And for 3-year it cost 600 USD for features that no one is going to use it.we planed to buy 200 C9200L and 10 C9500 and now i don't know how to tell my customer that he should pay 120.000 USD for features that not going to be used any soon.i am sure my BOM will rejected by them and they will go to buy from other vendors or buying some white-boxes. i really don't understand why Cisco is doing this.they put much pressure on us as we can't defend our solutions and can they will lose their market share by forcing this type of licensing.why should i use Smart-Licenses for this low-end devices at all?

Dear Ahmadi,

First you have no option to skip 3 year term Network Essentials license,but this doesn't mean you cannot sell you solution to customer.

I would advise you to go in details about 9200L Products and features and definitely you will be able to convince them

Some of key features in 9200L which are not available in 2960X and quite vital for production traffic.

-> Dual FAN supply ( Free of cost)

-> Dual Power Supply ( Need to purchase secondary power supply)

-> Could based readiness 

-> Can run stub routing on this switch If I am correct.

Most important selling of 9200L over 2960X can be maintenance price of both switch which I think is cheaper for 9200L as compare to 2960X and note Maintenance price is Month recurring charges.

So you many reasons to convince customer to give a shot for 9200L

All the Best and Kindly rate helpful post.

I saw somewhere there are also plans for Catalyst 1000 devices without DNA requirement. Last time I checked I had no permission to access the datasheet, but maybe this is a worth replacement for 2960 devices which are just for switching in use.

Michael Please rate all helpful posts

When last time  you read about Catalyst 1000, Can you share the link?

I only know that cisco has introduced Cat 9K switches in past.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card