cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200Ls does not support ISL ?

kIshihara
Level 1
Level 1

I am now working on Catalyst 9200L-24T-4G and 48T-4G switches.

When I tried to configure trunk ports, the option switchport encapsulation dot1q/isl doesn't exist.

Then I looked for data sheets and there isn't any mention about ISL, but only IEEE 802.1Q is.

Based on facts above I believe Catalyst 9200L switches does not support ISL, but I am still not sure about it.

Is there any way to confirm the switch does not support the feature or not being able to configure it means that the switch does not support ISL?

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the 9200 switches definitely does not support ISL. ISL support has been retired a very long time ago (before 2008 as far as I recall), anything developed after that only supports dot1q.

View solution in original post

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=3004580&seqNum=2#:~:text=Although%20most%20older%20routers%20(routers,ISL%20or%20dot1q%20is%20supported.

>...

Although most older routers (routers running IOS 12.2 and earlier) support both ISL and dot1q, some switch models support only dot1q, such as the 2960, 2960-x, 3650, and 9200 series. Check with the version of IOS you are using to determine whether ISL or dot1q is supported

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the 9200 switches definitely does not support ISL. ISL support has been retired a very long time ago (before 2008 as far as I recall), anything developed after that only supports dot1q.

Hello Georg,

I was not 100% sure but now I am.

Thanks for answering.

best regards.

Kei

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=3004580&seqNum=2#:~:text=Although%20most%20older%20routers%20(routers,ISL%20or%20dot1q%20is%20supported.

>...

Although most older routers (routers running IOS 12.2 and earlier) support both ISL and dot1q, some switch models support only dot1q, such as the 2960, 2960-x, 3650, and 9200 series. Check with the version of IOS you are using to determine whether ISL or dot1q is supported

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello marce

Thanks to the reference you shared I can now 100% sure about it.

Thanks a lot for answering.

best regards.

Kei

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card