Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 Password Recovery

I must be blind today because I cannot find any information about this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

38 Replies 38

I was try to press and hold more than a minute. I couldn't enter to the ROMMON mode. What alternative mechanisms I can use? Thank you for your help.

This is a pretty important process to remember because it is almost inevitable that a Catalyst  Admin will need to perform this process. It also works on Catalyst switches it is super useful '

Hi Smith,

As you mentioned, i have tried power cycle and hold the mode button but switch is not going to loader mode.

can you help me on that....

Uttam,

I had the same problem as you did. In my case I found that the process differs very slightly from the 38/3650 in that instead of HOLDING the Mode button you need to press it multlple times 2-3 in my case just after it comes up with Initializing hardware.

System Management Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x (Catalyst 9300 Switches) - Troubleshooting the Softwa…

Exceprt from documentation :

Procedure

Step 1 Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.
  • Connect a terminal or a PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the console port of the active switch.
  • Connect a PC to the Ethernet management port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the Ethernet management port of a stack member .
Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.
Step 3 Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.
Step 4 Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. . The switch starts the boot process. Press the Mode button when it attempts to start booting. Press the Mode button 2-3 times until the switch fails to boot and goes to ROMMON mode.

Initializing Hardware...  System Bootstrap, Version 16.6.1r [FC1], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P) Compiled Sat 07/15/2017  8:31:57.39 by rel  Current image running: Primary Rommon Image  Last reset cause: SoftwareReload         <---- Start pressing the mode button C9300-24U platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory  attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]  Located file packages.conf # #####################################################################  Unable to load cat9k-rpboot.16.06.02b.SPA.pkg Failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted) <--- will abort switch: switch:  <---- ROMMON 

Proceed to the Procedure with Password Recovery Enabled section, and follow the steps.

Step 5 After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

On a switch:

Switch> reload Proceed with reload? [confirm] y  

On the active switch:

Switch> reload slot <stack-active-member-number> Proceed with reload? [confirm] y 

Hope this helps !

As others have said the method above, marked as the answer, may not work for some. On my 9300 running Fuji 16.9.3 I had to wait for the image to begin loading and then simply press the mode button once to interrupt it.

Initializing Hardware...

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.9.1r [FC2], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Tue 05/29/2018 14:59:59.99 by rel

Current ROMMON image : Primary
Last reset cause : PowerOn
C9300-48UXM platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

boot: attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]
boot: reading file packages.conf
#################################  <~~~ Press 'Mode' button here to interrupt

boot: failed to load cat9k-rpboot.16.09.03.SPA.pkg
boot: failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf
ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted)
switch:

Daryl Allen
Level 1
Level 1

For password recovery on Catalyst 9300, look at this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg_chapter_01100.html#task_nzq_q4z_n1b

Recovering from a Lost or Forgotten Password

Procedure

Step 1

Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.

• Connect a terminal or a PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the console port of the active switch.

• Connect a PC to the Ethernet management port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the Ethernet management port of a stack member .

Step 2

Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3

Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.

Step 4

Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. As soon as the System LED blinks, press and release the Mode button 2-3 times. The switch enters the ROMMON mode.

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.6.1r [FC1], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Sat 07/15/2017  8:31:57.39 by rel

Current image running: 
Primary Rommon Image

Last reset cause: SoftwareReload         <---- Start pressing and releasing the mode button
C9300-24U platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]

Located file packages.conf 
#
#####################################################################

Unable to load cat9k-rpboot.16.06.02b.SPA.pkg
Failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf
ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted) <--- will abort
switch:  
switch:  <---- ROMMON

Proceed to the Procedure with Password Recovery Enabled section, and follow the steps.

Step 5

After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

On a switch:

Switch> reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

On the active switch:

Switch> reload slot <stack-active-member-number>
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

Step 6

Power on the remaining switches in the stack.

I know it seems funny but you have to press the mode button multiple times to get bootloader mode

CFG line  and the mode button and the reboot x 2 worked for me. Thanks. 

But in my case, after reload switch continued to ignore the config until I reversed the original CFG statement (=0)

Last action before rebooting is the command "no system ignore startupconfig switch all" when in config mode.

Save config & reload your switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card