Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 - Random Switch Reload - Amsterdam 17.3.3

ceislw_123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Anyone else come across this.  When running configuration changes and saving the config I get a random switch in my 3 switch stack reboots with Critical Software exceptions.  Happened twice in the last 3 weeks.  Once when re-synching smart licensing and once when changing NTP.

Smart License change caused Switch 3 in the stack to reboot with the critical software exception.

NTP change caused Switch 2 in the stack to reboot with the critical software exception.

I can find nothing wrong but searching the bugtoolkit, I am seeing a couple of known bugs, just nothing with regard this switch model and software version:

CSCvw93490

Cisco 1000v CSR crashing frequently with Critical software exception error.

CSCvx02009

cEdge running 17.3.2 crashed - Critical software exception / IOSXE-WATCHDOG: Process = SNMP ENGINE

Pretty frustrating as its not an open caveat so unsure which version to upgrade/downgrade to...  Amsterdam 17.x.x seems a bit buggy all round....

Switch 02
---------
Switch uptime : 6 minutes

### OUTPUT OMITTED ###
Model Number : C9300-48P
System Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last reload reason : Critical software exception
CLEI Code Number :

Switch 03
---------
Switch uptime : 1 week, 4 days, 22 hours, 31 minutes

### OUTPUT OMITTED ###
Model Number : C9300-48P
System Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last reload reason : Critical software exception
CLEI Code Number :

1 Accepted Solution
11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Open a case with TAC. This may be a bug that has not been released to the public yet.

HTH

Thanks Riza,

We don't have TAC Support on our LAN switching, so not an option, I'm assuming it is a Bug, will just have to wait it out see if I can find a stable release or downgrade possibly.

Thanks

Yes, usually a "Critical software exception" means there is a software issue (bug). So, yes, you may want to go down a version and test again. Make sure you read the release notes for any know bugs before upgrading or downgrading.

HTH

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may try the current advisory release which seems to be 17.3.4 and check if that can help.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

we are running C9300-48U 17.03.04 

We had crashed yesterday. Last reload reason : Critical software exception

- Go for  : https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286326361/type/282046477/release/Bengaluru-17.6.4

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I forgot this post was still active.  If it helps any were were hitting issues with the Kron jobs we configured for backups.  Moved over to EEM and its been stable ever since.

This might help if you are using Kron:   https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/bug-in-ios-xe-when-using-kron/td-p/4469074

Although I'm going to take a look at @marce1000 suggestion too as I've now found potential QoS bugs too.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

• sh version
  • sh switch detail
  • dir flash-1:core
  • dir flash-2:core
  • dir flash-3:core
  • dir crashinfo-1:
  • dir crashinfo-2:
  • dir crashinfo-3:
  • sh log on switch 2 uptime detail
  • sh log on switch 3 uptime detail

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

I've encountered several bugs with 17.3.3 running on c9300 switches. Different kinds. Can anyone recommend an IOS version which isn't so unreliable? I'm afraid of what version i might try next in case its even worse! Its so different from the 3750 days when a switch could run for years without bugs or memory leaks or other such issues.

@jmcgrady1 wrote:
Can anyone recommend an IOS version which isn't so unreliable?

16.6.10 -- This version does not support Smart License.  

Have a read:  IOS-XE leaks like a sieve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card