cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 Stack - switch individuality

MARTIN HUERTER
Level 1
Level 1

We track network switch inventory by creating an inventory number and associating it to a switch serial number. A sticker is then generated with that inventory number on it and is stuck to the side of the switch. I am trying to devise a way to configure a switch (SNMP location is what I thought I could use) to have the inventory number electronically imprinted on the switch. I could then query the switch and verify the serial number and inventory number match during our inventory audits instead of physically tracking down switches. Only problem is most of our Catalyst 9300 closet switches are in a stack configuration. My question is, is there a way to configure an individual switch in a switch stack with our inventory number, example; switch 3 in a stack, serial number FCO123RU890, inventory number 123456? Then poll the switch stack to get the serial number and it's inventory number associated with it?  I figured SNMP would be the easiest way to do it, but didn't know if there were SNMP variables per switch. If someone with more SNMP expertise than I have could let me know it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!!

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that I am aware that is possible,, i am sure SNMP do get a Serial number, you add some additional fields into your NMS to identify that.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We put asset details in the SNMP contacts field:  SN1_Asset1 SN2_Asset2 SN3_Asset3

Leo,

Thank you for the information. Could you please elaborate about the information you provided?

Thanks!!

@MARTIN HUERTER wrote:

Could you please elaborate about the information you provided?

What do you mean?  I cannot "elaborate" any further.

what Leo meant to suggest was here is example :

snmp-server contact XXXXXXXXXXXX

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo,

What I am asking is, how do I associate our inventory number (example: 56098) to SNx_Assetx? Also, if we were to pull switch 3 from a current stack and add it to a different stack and is now switch 5, will the SN3_Asset3 continue to associate the inventory number now that it is SN5_Asset5?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card