Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9400 performance

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears 

For Catalyst 9400 Cisco mentioned the switch can reach upto 9tbps, the SUP engine has 1.4Tbps bandwidth and the slot supports 240gbps for 4 slot and 80 gbps for 10 slots chassis can anybody explain me the math how Cisco is reaching to 9 tbps figures.

13 Replies 13

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

See page 59. Each slot can support up to 480Gb in the future if you have the right card. Today, there is no 48 port 10Gig card that I know that can be inserted into the 9400 chassis.  The only thing they have is a 24 port 10Gig module.

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2019/pdf/BRKARC-2035.pdf

HTH

Dear Sherif,

Still with 480 Gbps also  how u can reach to 9 tbps,  7 slots and 10 slots supports 80GBps if we do full duplex 80x2=160, that is what u did with 4 slot chassis it supports 240/slot so 240x2=480/slot , but how u will reach to 9tbps.

Well, I don't think you can reach anywhere close to 9tbps. What they are saying is that the chassis switching architecture is "capable of supporting up to 9tbps" but again that is not there today. This is my understanding from the data sheet.

HTH

@adamgibs7 wrote:

Still with 480 Gbps also  how u can reach to 9 tbps

Did you see the supervisor card?  Did you notice that one can upgrade the supervisor card for "future growth"?

The Data Sheet shows 9Tbps based on the life of the chassis (and not on the supervisor card). 

Dear Leo/Sherif

Thanks for the explanation, 

can you'll write the maths for 10  slots chassis if the below as per my understanding is wrong.

10 Slot chassis 

8 slots *80 Gbps/slot = 640,,  multiply X 2 for full duplex so 640 x 2= 1280 Gbps. 

do we have to add supervisor throughput also if so then  1 Supervisor will be active at a time so the math is 80 X 2 = 160 so the total comes to 1280 + 160 = 1440 ( slot bandwidth + Supervisor slot bandwidth)  this is what the figure is mentioned for the supervisor throughput in datasheet.

Please confirm the above mats is correct or please correct and reply to the post.

Wait a second ... Are you looking for a 10 Tbps supervisor card NOW?
If this is the case, then look at the 9600. It comes with the "Sup10T" from the 6800.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
On this web page: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/index.html#~models

Cisco describes the 9400 10-slot supporting 480 Gbps per slot. For duplex, that would be 480 Gbps * 20 or 9.6 Tbps.

The forgoing is what the chassis supports, but as the other posters have noted, currently available supervisors and/or line cards don't come near this.

What Cisco is showing, the chassis has "room" for much bandwidth growth (in supervisors and/or line cards).

Dear Experts

Thanks for the reply,

Customer doesn't invest again and again , he invest one time and he use till the devices is end of support so no way any customer will install SUP-XL-Y with 80Gbps /slot on 10 slot chassis  and then he will wait for the cisco to release it with new  supervisor hardware.

That's fine, but I believe your question is answered, in that the chassis can support up to 9.6 Tbps.

Dears Josepf

but I believe your question is answered, in that the chassis can support up to 9.6 Tbps

In current situation it is not supported, but as we discussed in previous post that in future it may supported. 

this is what u r trying to confirm with me ??

thanks

Your original question was ". . . for 10 slots chassis can anybody explain me the math how Cisco is reaching to 9 tbps figures."

The math is 10 slots can each provide 480 Mbps (duplex), so the chassis can support 9.6 Tbps.

Later, the discussion branched into what you can obtain, today, for bandwidth processing, which is a subset of what the chassis can support.

So, your original question was answer, correct?

Can we ask what you are trying to do, exactly?
The reason is because the Catalyst 9400 and 9600 have different "target markets".
The 9600 is "positioned" as a core switch, hence, the presence of a supervisor card that supports 10 Tbps. 

The 9400, however, is positioned as an access switch.  10 Tbps on an access switch is a bit "over the top".  

thanks for the reply experts,

we concluded that at present it is not supported but in future it will also Can you'll confirm the math for bandwidth calculationin my above post is correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: