cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9400 Stackwise Virtual

clpaul
Level 1
Level 1

I have done Stackwise virtual many times with 9500's & 9400's but they were always out of the box.  The customer have 2 existing 9407R and would now like to virtualize them.  I understand the priority and renumber commands to control which switch is 1 or 2. My question is what happens with the config when they come active in "Virtual" mode.  Will both configs be wiped or will they carry over the current configs to the stack?  thank you!

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is good topic, i love to see your post-deployment outcome to learn a lesson here.

As we did some 6500 but always have different results case to case.

1. make sure you have a backup of the config. (in  case of disaster)

2. make sure both the devices same Code running.

3. ask for maintenance time - Service outage.

4. make a list of the device connected and what ports, as you may required some homework to re-create the config.

convert to StackWise and reload. ( the above steps technical should work, but as i said i will be ready to learn your lessons).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Turning two stand alone to a VSS (I don't like to get into the "hype" and calling this by its marketing term), means that the 2nd chassis' config will need to get wiped.
Both units may also need to be rebooted.

mateens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Both the switches should have same config.
You connect and configure the SVL links and DaD link and enable stackwise virtual. You need to save the config and reboot the switches. The configs would NOT get wiped. The only change would be in interface naming convention. 1/ and 2/ for switches 1 and 2.

clpaul
Level 1
Level 1

As I thought the config on the primary switch stays but the interface configs are wiped due to port renaming/numbering.  Had to repaste all the interface details back into the config using new port numbers 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco