Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 stackwise and issu 16.8.1 to 16.9.1

hnzl
Level 1
Level 1

As the title states.. 

is it possible even to do an issu upgrade while having 2 9500's in stackwise virtual (running 16.8.1) and try to update it to 16.9.1?

So far when trying it just brakes everything :-)

followed this guide to no avail.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-8/configuration_guide/ha/b_168_ha_9500_cg/b_168_ha_9500_cg_chapter_0100.html

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I personally don't recommend ISSU, FSU/eFSU.

Hello Leo

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
I personally don't recommend ISSU, FSU/eFSU.

Having myself not even touched cat9ks I would be very interested on your views regards this if applicable ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

ISSU, FSU/eFSU is a complicated method of upgrading the IOS using a semi-automated script.
If the switches/chassis are in an "ideal" position, ISSU, FSU/eFSU is a wonder. However, I haven't had any luck with them. And when it fails to work, the VSS pair will take turn rebooting. I found that doing the upgrade the "old fashion way" works all the time.
Most of the time, if I see thread about ISSu/FSU/eFSU it means it didn't work.
With the dawning of DNA-C, I don't believe issues with ISSU, FSU/eFSU will be fixed or improved.

Happy to hear comments from people who've used ISSU/FSU/eFSU.

Cheers Leo 

tbh I have only every done issu on dell and juniper stacks which may I say worked okay - If I was requested to perform an 9k stack upgrade at this time I would straight away in all honestly think to go via installing the software on each member and reloading it manually like the other cisco stacks I have completed 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card