cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 SVL restrictions

RB6502
Level 1
Level 1

I am confused by this restriction on SVLs in the IOX-XE 16.12 HA Configuration guide:

• In a Cisco StackWise Virtual solution, ports that support 4X10G breakout cables and QSA can be used only as data-only ports and cannot be used for configuring SVLs or DAD links.

The word "support" confuses me...don't all the 40G-capable ports on the C9500 "support" QSA & QSFPs with breakout cables?  Should the statement maybe really read "...ports USING 4X10G breakout cables or a QSA can only be used as data-only ports"?

For instance, I would like to designate say, ports 50 & 52 on a C9500-48Y4C as SVL ports using QSFP-40G-LR4-S or maybe QSFP-40G-SR-BD.  Should I expect this to work?  I'm familiar with the restriction on not mixing uplink module ports and downlink ports to create a SVL.  But in this case, I just want to use the built-in QSFP ports (without using a breakout cable or QSA).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The way I understand this is, as long as you are not using a QSA or breakout cable, you should be fine. So, yes BIDI and standard optics should work just fine.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The way I understand this is, as long as you are not using a QSA or breakout cable, you should be fine. So, yes BIDI and standard optics should work just fine.

HTH

Hi Reza, did you mean to type something there? :)

Hi,

Yes, Sorry. Not sure how that was even posted without me clicking on the "post" icon. :-)

Thanks!

Someone might want to look into revising that caveat in the HA guide, then.  It's confusing IMHO.

Sure! 

Sometimes Cisco documentations are not very clear or there is dependency between documents. I have seen a few where one document says one thing and the other one says something different. Usually, there are Cisco employees who post here and can take note so Cisco can address the issues.

Good luck with your project!

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card