cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst E vs A in a Stack

InquiringTech
Level 1
Level 1

What's the fundamental difference between say C-9200-48P-A and E? I know one is Advantage and one is Essentials. I'm looking at a datasheet; it just a licensing thing, and there are a few more features available in A? I ask because we don't use most of the extra features of these devices, just the basic ones, and the E versions seem to be cheaper. Also, do you really need to get the DNA subscription license thing if you go through a reseller?

More importantly, my main question is, if we have a stack of three C-9200-24P-As, can we add a 48P-E to the stack? I know 24 and 48 port switches can be mixed in a stack, but does the version make a difference in this case?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the switches come with perpetual you do not need to register.

If you do not need DNAC integration and devices are not part of SD-Access - you do not need that DNAC license.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the Stacking the stacking device should have same License all time.

Only stacking Essential good enough, if you need more feature network advantage. compare E vs A

If you do not have DNAC , then you do not need that License.

balajibandi_0-1667324260468.png

BB

Thanks. So as I said the three switches we do have in the stack are A, but I want to see if we can add an E. That said, I don't think we even have activated or use the Smart License on the switches anyway.

So to clarify, you're saying if we don't have DNAC, the license type doesn't matter (and if the Smart Licenses aren't activated, you can blend the different ones in a stack)? For example, we're trying to buy through CDW and some have E and some A. 

If the switches come with perpetual you do not need to register.

If you do not need DNAC integration and devices are not part of SD-Access - you do not need that DNAC license.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card