Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Switch 3850 features

Imran Ahmad
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am purchasing new Cisco Catalyst Switches.  one cisco website i saw the following line on Catalyst Switch mode 3850 series-

Faster deployment of new campus access networking infrastructures by eliminating the need for a power outlet for every endpoint

can any one let me know what exactly the above line indicates on the website??  does it mean that the switch can provide power/ power on Computers/Client-PCs ?

4 Replies 4

Imran Ahmad
Level 2
Level 2

that line is written on the '' Cisco Universal Power over Ethernet (UPOE) ''    section of the switch datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

Since the switch can provide up to 60W on a port, it can power a VDI client like a Wyse terminal through the network cable.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

eliminating the need for a power outlet for every endpoint

3650/3850 series switches support PoE, PoE+ and uPoE.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, PoE (15W and the higher wattage PoE+, 30W, and UPOE, 60W) can provide power to connected devices across Ethernet cables.  Do be aware, not only do you need to insure you PoE ports can provide the wattage you devices might require, but also you need to insure the device can provide sufficient power for the aggregate power demand across all your ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card