cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS 2948G Serial Number - show version/sprom and sticker don't match!

Andrew Bailey
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find the serial number on the CLI that matches the serial number sticker on the back of a  WS-C2948G-GE-TX  switch that runs CatOS. I am running code cat4000-k9.8-3-2-GLX.bin. I have 4 different switches and all the stickers have a serial that starts with JPE.. and both "show version" and "show sprom 1" and "show sprom 2" gives me a completely different serial number that starts wtih JAE... All of these serial numbers I get from the CLI match with each other. The command "show sprom chassis"  says "Feature not supported."

I have referenced this article http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00801c1e9a.shtml and  The "show diagbus" command which the article says is for Catalyst 6500/6000 switches that can run CatOS does not work on 2948G.

Is it possible to find the serial number that matches the sticker from the CLI on a 2948G? Why does Cisco make this so confusing?

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The serial number of the unit is shown with a "show version" command.   That is the serial number ,  most of the catos boxes did use a JAE or a FOX  serial number.

I just verified the sticker on the back of the switch has serial number: JPE0848201T. The show version doesn't match. It just doesn't make sense! I have verfied the same thing on more than one of these switches.

switch> (enable) sh version

WARNING: This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use.

Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority

to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters,

distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local

country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable

laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws,

return this product immediately.

WS-C2948G-GE-TX Software, Version NmpSW: 8.3(2)GLX

Copyright (c) 1995-2004 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

NMP S/W compiled on Mar 12 2004, 16:21:09

GSP S/W compiled on Mar 12 2004, 15:22:33

System Bootstrap Version: 6.1(6)

Hardware Version: 1.1  Model: WS-C2948G-GE-TX  Serial #: JAE084810C3

Mod Port Model              Serial #              Versions

--- ---- ------------------ -------------------- ---------------------------------

1   0    WS-X2948G-GE-TX    JAE084810C3          Hw : 1.1

Gsp: 8.3(2.0)

Nmp: 8.3(2)GLX

2   52   WS-C2948G-GE-TX    JAE084810C3          Hw : 1.1

DRAM                    FLASH                   NVRAM

Module Total   Used    Free    Total   Used    Free    Total Used  Free

------ ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----- ----- -----

1       65536K  36971K  28565K  16384K  10215K   6169K  480K  326K  154K

Uptime is 1 day, 19 hours, 11 minutes

Don't know , all the 2948G's that I have seen actually have the serial number sticker on the front of the switch where the ports are in the lower right hand corner of the switch .I went and looked as we have some old ones laying around that we haven't trashed yet. If it's not there then maybe someone peeled that off or something. But anyway the actual serial number is the show version command. 

There is nothing on the front except the model number. Could it be a bug in the code?

No not likely as the serial numbers are burned into the eproms so the show version is the correct serial number, go with that. If you need it on the devices then do a show version for all and get a labeler and stick the correct serial numbers on them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card