Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS220-24T-4G rebooting by its own

dialsc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I just got this CBS220-24T-4G approx. 1 month ago. I saw them restarting by its own a couple of times since then. I tried to figure how to open a support case with CISCO but I failed to find out how. So, anyone out there who has got an idea what I could do or maybe has got the same problem with this device (family)?

I'm running the latest firmware which is 2.0.1.9 but saw this to happen with earlier versions as well.

Best,

dialsc

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We are not sure what is the reason here,

Maybe check the power blips, or grounding, or an earthing issue?

what is the logs show ?

here is TAC numbers to reach :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

The switch is connected to an UPS just as all the other equipment. No issue here I guess.

There is nothing in the logs as far as I see. But I just enabled Flash Memory logs. Maybe somethings' in there after the next auto-restart.

dialsc
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to get in contact with TAC support but beside waiting in the queue nothing happens for 30 minutes...

I do see in the logs, I did activate the flash logs, that the switch initiates a reboot by its own. Looks like an ordinary reboot. There is nothing like a reason for it logged before, just this out of nothing: %SYSTEM-4-REBOOT: System reboot

Then it runs through the reboot...

Could that just be a faulty device, memory or something like that?

BTW: Getting in touch with support at Cisco is one of the toughest things I had to go through since years!

- Use a syslog-server for log monitoring on continuous basis , perhaps more indicators can be seen as to why the device has a problem.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

dialsc
Level 1
Level 1

I did so and there is nothing in the logs sent to the syslogServer showing a reason for the reboot, even not on debug level. Just: REBOOT!

- Save configuration to external device. Then in Administration , select Restore to Factory Defaults - Restore configuration afterwards, check if that can make the device more stable.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Done. Let's see what happens...

dialsc
Level 1
Level 1

So, I did reset to factory defaults and re-applied the configuration, same result, random reboots. I also set the syslog settings to debug and just before the switch reboots this gets logged: Level = Warning, Message = %SYSTEM-4-REBOOT: System reboot

Nothing else, the switch then reboots.

I also RMA'd the switch and got it replaced. After upgrading to the latest firmware and re-applying the configuration I'm facing the same problem.

SO: What the heck, how do I get support from CISCO? Is it just me not getting it or is it true that I can buy CISCO switches regularly but I do not get any kind of support until I pay again? What happened to CISCO? I remember times when CISCO valued me to be a customer buying their products and providing me support once I was facing a problem. I'm really upset!

Pegi68
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

No solution?

I also bought this CBS220 Switch an had no trouble until I update to the newes Version 2.0.1.9
After I could see the random restarts at least once a day. In the log I only could see the system has restarted.
Last week I switch back to the last Version 2.0.1.5 (Administration/File Management/Firmware Operations->Swap Image) and now I don't have restarts anymore!

Software Information
Firmware Version (Active Image)2.0.1.5
Firmware MD5 Checksum (Active Image)cf98472b20fc26d223b0f2313d9b1839
Firmware Version (Non-active)2.0.1.9
Firmware MD5 Checksum (Non-active)a190eaa7b123e7ab73c386604eba175c
Boot Version1.0.0.17
Localeja-JP
Language Version2.0.0.11
Localezh-CN
Language Version2.0.0.11

Firmware 2.0.1.9 pretty sure buggy !

BR, Horst

wistonwolf82
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with 3 switch CBS220-8P-E-2G. All switch rebooting randomly, i have tried to change firmware from 2.0.1.5 to 2.01.9 and the lastest 2.0.2.12, every version has the same problem. I attached the log view.

Thanks in advance

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card