cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-48P-4X ports randomly power off.

dsalazaralm
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed a CBS350-48P-4X switch, this equipment is exclusively feeding Cisco SPA504 and SPA514 phones, nothing else is connected except the link from the router, at any given point the ports will start failing and powering down, therefore severing the connection to the phones, I have to restart the switch to "FIX" this problem, then in about 2 or 3 days, it will do the same all over again, the port dies like is unplugged.

Ports 2, 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 17, 22, 34, 37, 44 and 46 are the ones that have failed so far.

The switch is connected to a 900W APC along with 2 more switches and 1 router.

31 Replies 31

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may want to open a ticket with Cisco support on this one as it may be a bug in the software you are running.

HTH

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check  the logs when this happens and or configure logging event link-status for the ports, perhaps additional info's can then be found in the logs.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

on a side note, check if the bug below applies:

CBS350-24P-4X: power over ethernet stop working after some time
CSCvw84846
Description
Symptom:
After some time, power will not be supplied to interfaces if no device was connected to them after initial configuration.

- It happens not for every interface, just for some of them (this is random).
- If customer restart the switch , some of them will work again, some of them not (random).
- Power is supplied to them without issue at the start after reboot, after some time PoE stop working and need to restart (see workaround to mitigate this)
- If customer reset the switch to factory defaults, all ports work again and stop after some time (Frequent).

Conditions:
Using PoE ports on switch with PoE capable devices

Workaround:
Workaround with CLI configuration so don't have to restart or reset the switch:

Interface giX/0/Y
power inline never
power inline auto

Further Problem Description:
Latest Firmware

rob.h.au
Level 1
Level 1

We're seeing the same behavior on a batch of the CBS350-24P-4G. Is there any update on when a revised firmware will be released to resolve this issue?

dsalazaralm
Level 1
Level 1

I upgrade the firmware to the latest release and it is still happening.

Hello
Are you manually setting the power to the voip phones or are the automatically being set?

Does a non poe device randomly fail in the same port, meaning does it lose network connection, if so it might not be a poe issue but a network issue.?

Also have you tried disconnecting or relocating the poe phones so the switch isnt servicing as many poe devices at the same time, if this resolves your issue then it could be the switch isn't capable of supporting so many poe devices you have currently connected?

What do the system logs report?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

"Are you manually setting the power to the voip phones or are the automatically being set?"

Automatically

"Does a non poe device randomly fail in the same port, meaning does it lose network connection, if so it might not be a poe issue but a network issue.?"

I have a non poe switch for non poe devices, the POWER is the problem, if I cannot a data device, it works fine.

Panels, switches and vlans are always separated here

Switch was replaced by an inferior and cheaper NetGear and NO problem has been registered since, but this needs to be a Cisco only network soon.

Also have you tried disconnecting or relocating the poe phones so the switch isnt servicing as many poe devices at the same time, if this resolves your issue then it could be the switch isn't capable of supporting so many poe devices you have currently connected?

Yes, 45 Devices.

Hello

@dsalazaralm wrote:
Also have you tried disconnecting or relocating the poe phones so the switch isnt servicing as many poe devices at the sametime, if this resolves your issue then it could be the switch isn't capable of supporting so many poe devices you have currently connected?

Yes, 45 Devices.

Not sure what this means can you verify please?
So you can connect 45 devices and all works fine and then after that it all goes wrong or you haven't tried reducing the power consumption by relocating some of the voip devices off the problem switch?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

45 POE devices are connected to the Switch.

I replaced with Switch with a NetGear and no problem has been reported, I am expecting a new firmware or this cisco is going RMA

The power is being automatically set. We haven't seen non-poe devices lose network connection as yet.

We're only powering 3 Yealink PoE handsets plus 1 UniFi AP (802.3af) in one switch, and 1 Yealink PoE handset plus 1 UniFi AP (802.3af) in the other. There are a couple of VLANs, but no routing occurring on the switches. Both switches are connected via a Cambium wireless bridge which is independently powered by its own PoE injector.

We have used plenty of the SG350 switches before and have never encountered this issue. Unfortunately, if this issue cannot be resolved in the near future the switches will need to be returned.

Hello

IF you don't have any cabling, power degradation or network issues, It sounds like you may have to RMA the switch

Kind Regards
Paul

jemery482
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if running the workaround power inline never power inline auto which disables and re-enables poe for the problem port(s) fixes the problem for a certain period of time or until the next reboot? Has anyone noticed if a device that is currently getting power all of the sudden loses power or is it only when a device plugs into a non-connected port? 

We are experiencing the issue on all switches with model#'s below.

Qty 16 Mfr #: CBS250-48P-4G-NA

Qty 2 Mfr #: CBS250-16P-2G-NA

We have tried all three available firmware versions with the same results and need a fix asap.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have not received any additional information regarding this issue.

I do not, that if I reduce the number of POE devices it stops failing

Kind of pointless to have a 48 Port POE if you can only use around 30

Auxilium IT
Level 1
Level 1

We are having the same issue . No notification of any firmware updates. We got a batch of these switches to replace an internal network and this bug is killing us. 

Does anyone have any info on when a firmware update or fix will be available? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card