Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350 Lag Groups

l.buchheister1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am in the process of migrating from a core switch 4x SG500XG-8F8T in a stack, to a core switch 4x CBS350-24XTS.
Now I noticed with the lags that only 8 lag groups can be created there. Previously there were 32 on the SG500XG 8F8T.
I don't understand why the CBS350-24XTS can only manage 8 lag groups. Especially since it is the successor model.
SG500XG-8F8T-K9-G5 -> SG550XG-8F8T-K9-EU -> SX550X-16FT-K9-EU -> CBS350-16XTS-EU / CBS350-24XTS-EU.

Maybe a Cisco employee is reading along!
It would be nice if through a firmware upgrade, 32 lag groups can be managed again. 

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The datasheet confirms this as such : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/business-350-series-managed-switches/datasheet-c78-744156.html

>...

Port grouping/link aggregation

Support for IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

●  Up to 8 groups
●  Up to 8 ports per group with 16 candidate ports for each (dynamic) 802.3ad link aggregation

To get your worries noticed you need to get 'closer' to Cisco : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html (the forum usually has users-only online)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

FlorianB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the same issue here. The CBS350-24XT-EU is the replacement for the SX550X-24-K9-EU. But the CBS350-24XT is only capable of 8 portchannel-groups instead of 32. So it's no real replacement as suggested by Cisco.

Is there any plan to extend the capability by firmware?
Do I have to buy catalyst switches now?

Very strange, even if it's described in the datasheet.

BR
Florian

FlorianB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I had a phone call with Cisco today and mentioned the problem with the reduction of 32 port-channels (SX550, SG550X) to their successors CBS350-xx. They will provide me a feature-request form to ask for an extension of the port-channels. The hardware should be capable to provide additional channels.

Tip:
Please also contact your person at Cisco to mention that issue and then ask for a feature request.

BR
Florian

So this is a problem for me also. Coming from SG550X switches and didn't see the limited port channels. Did they every give any indication of a change coming? I need more than 8 port channels. Kind of screwed me over here Cisco!

roman-kolar
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a solution? We are using CBS350-xx as a replacement for SG550X. The number of lags is limited. We would need to extend the nubmers of lags .

FlorianB
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately no update from Cisco concerning this big issue. It seems to be better to search for another vendor to replace the SG550 or SX550 series.

kolping-mw
Level 1
Level 1

It is getting even worse. The new C1300 series has this limit, too. For us this is also a problem we currently found out. We have some switches from the SG550X series with more LAG uplinks, too... OK, it has to be a new hardware vendor for the next replacement. And I agree that an announced replacement from Cisco has to have at least the same capabilities...

FlorianB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I also recognized that during the last days. I talked with Cisco during the Digital-X exhibition (Telekom) at Munich. It seems, that they what their customers to use more Meraki products than the Small Business Series. That's annoying.

I have also talked with other vendors their and will take a look there.

With the constraints of lacking port-channels on CBS3350- and C1300-Series Cisco is becoming more like Netgear or D-Link.

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card