cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNA 3 - VLANS

holtie388
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, im currently studying a network engineering degree and i have been given an assignment on VLANS, i have a question for you guys...

I have 4 Vlans in the design and a requirement is that an Network manager requires access to every server within the network no matter what VLAN.

Without the use of a layer 3 switch or any form of inter vlan routing, is there a way to provide this form of access?

I know using a router and sub interfaces would be the best option but im just curious if this is possible any other way.

Josh.

P.S sorry if this isnt the place to post this question.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Joshua!

This IS the place to post this question, so don't worry!

As you said you have these options:

Solution covered in CCNA is Router-On-A-Stick.

Solution covered in CCNP Switch is Layer 3 switch with SVIs(switch virtual interface) or IP routed ports.

I'm afraid that there really is not any type of mechanism that would allow you to do such things without some form of inter-vlan routing.

Best regards,

Jan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Joshua!

This IS the place to post this question, so don't worry!

As you said you have these options:

Solution covered in CCNA is Router-On-A-Stick.

Solution covered in CCNP Switch is Layer 3 switch with SVIs(switch virtual interface) or IP routed ports.

I'm afraid that there really is not any type of mechanism that would allow you to do such things without some form of inter-vlan routing.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Josh and Jan,

I'm afraid that there really is not any type of mechanism that would  allow you to do such things without some form of inter-vlan routing.

Well, I see one but it is far from a best practice point of view

If the operating system on the management station supports VLANs then the management station can be made a member of all VLANs simultaneously by connecting it to a trunk port and creating a (sub)interface for each VLAN it should be a member of. This is supported routinely on GNU/Linux and also under Windows operating systems but it usually requires a specialized driver (not all network cards come with a driver that supports VLANs under Windows). This way, the management station would have direct connectivity to each VLAN and no inter-VLAN routing would be necessary.

But as indicated, this solution is more of a kludge than a recommended deployment, and I would try to avoid this in real network if possible.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for the speedy and helpfull answers guys, i think like you said peter, im best to avoid having the management station directly connected via trunking.  Seems as i thought i will have to implement some form of inter vlan routing.

Cheers,

Josh.

Hi Peter,

You are absolutely right. This solution did not come in my mind at all but it is a nice one . I am kind of trapped in the CCNA-CCNP way of thinking. Thanks for sharing this idea!

Best regards,

Jan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card