Join Customer Connection to register!
Views
Helpful
Replies
firewire2013
Beginner

CCNA/CCNP Lab Requirements

Hi

First post, this is totally in the incorrect place for some reason all of the categories are greyed out and this is the only place I can post this question. Hopefully the mod will inbox me and move this tread.

Anyway!!

Just starting out in the Cisco world, I’m changing career from a Project Manager within the construction industry so don’t have a clue about any of this stuff.

I’ve been studying for about one month from Tod Lams book, so far I’m learning the OSI etc etc.

Cisco is very interesting and I’ve got the bug and just want to play about now with hardware.

I’ve bought,

2 x Catalyst 2950 10Base-T 100Base-TX 24 Ports

3 x 1760 Routers all with a 60 pin serial card output and WIC-1AM Card

There are two empty slots on each router and its says they are for voice, I’ve not bought any voice cards for them yet because firstly I don’t know if the routers are going to get me through the CCNP.

Here’s the question!

I know the above equipment will get me through my CCNA but will it get me through my CCNP too. I’m planning to keep on learning until I reach CCIE so I want a lab that’s going to last at least until I have my CCNP.

Thank-you

Regards

James

12 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi James,

This should be good enough to do the lab practice for the CCNA and CCNP.

I would suggest you also use the third party tool which are very good for all certification upto CCIE.

1- Cisco Packet Tracer ( complete CCNA & CCNP can be acheived using this software).

http://www.mynetworkinglabs.com/2012/11/packet-tracer-533-review-and-free.html

2- GNS --- (You can do the CCIE level of practice on this software.)

http://www.gns3.net/download/

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Unless you're enrolled in the Cisco Networking Academy or an alumni you can't get a copy of Packet Tracer legally.

GNS3 is better for learning but requires you have service contract (smartnet) in order to download IOS.

James, you might be interested in getting a layer 2/3 switch like the 3560 or the 3750s. They're great for learning and experience. And very relevant to CCNP towards CCIE.

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

James

It is not clear whether your routers are the regular 1760 or are the 1760-V (and at the level of CCNA it does not really matter - but might be nice to know which it is). And I am a bit concerned about how well they will serve your purposes. My concerns include these things:

- we do not know what version of IOS is on these routers, but it is probably fairly old. And at this point I believe that you will not be able to upgrade the IOS on them.

- these routers have a single Ethernet interface built in. For purposes of preparing for CCNA and CCNP I think that you would be better off with routers that have at least two Ethernet interfaces.

- these routers generally used the Ethernet for LAN connection and one of the serial modules for WAN. While there are deployment situations where that is a good fit, I am not sure that it is such a good fit for study routers.

While the 2950s are good layer 2 switches, I do agree that the suggestion that you also get a layer 3 switch is a good idea.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jonatrod
Rising star

Hi James, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I think you could try to use this equipment for your purpose, the difference between CCNA and CCNP is get more deeper in to the protocols also incorporate new ones, so if you get more equipment including the Layer 3 Switch could be a good idea in order to get more experience, also if you could get access to packet tracer or GNS will be really helpfull too. However if you are using CCNP protocols, I recommend you use GNS3

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Likewise, I prefer the real kit although, GNS3 isn't too bad in terms of what we can do with a router, but can be limited when it comes to switches and layer 2.

Nothing beats real kit :-)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi James,

Yes as Bilal suggested nothing beats  the real devices and you feel the experience only when you working on the same.

GNS : -Not much of Switching you can perform here. Most of the things will have to do it in alternate way which is quite disturbing if you are not have exposure towards working on this.

Routing on GNS: It works fine if you have configured everything perfectly  but sometimes it behaves buggy and the devices needed reboot but thats rare case.

Try to get the real devices to work on if and only not possible then go ahead and purchase the full version of the softwares by enroling and purchasing the smartnet contract.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

chuang123
Beginner

I got ccna ccnp, working on ccie now. I suggest you get 4 2611xm and 2 3550. The price is cheap for these model. Later you can get 4 1841 and 2 3560 when you working on ccie

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

James

The 2511 terminal server should work well for you.

The software in the 1760 (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M) is a good feature set and should do pretty well for both CCNA and CCNP. The version is relatively recent and that is good. I am still concerned about it having a single Ethernet but there may be ways to work around that.

The 2950 is a good layer 2 switch. The software at Version 12.1(19)EA1c is ok for your purposes as far as I know.

It has been quite a while since I looked at 3550 but my memory is that it should work pretty well for your purposes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello James, it may be a problem because it simply isn't 'enough' to be studying towards CCNP level. CCNP becomes a little more complex with topologies and the practice you need for the exam (especially troubleshooting exams) will require more than one.

The other slot is a serial slot. It's an interface that can be used in a network (more popular with frame relay or old point-to-point connections etc...) more old fashioned but it is still being used these days.

It's just an interface where you can put an IP on it. It can easily become part of your lab if you have the right cable to connect them up.

Hope this helps.

Hi James,

You required atleast 4 3550 devices if you are setting the rack at home and atleast 6-7 routers.

Have a look at the below link:

http://www.ine.com/topology.htm

Regards

Inayath

James

Most of what you will do with the router involves traffic coming in one interface and going out another interface. That is very easy to set up if the router has more than one Ethernet interface. It can be set up with an Ethernet and a serial but it is more complex. That is the main point in my concern about having only a single Ethernet interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi James,

Its quite old software. But for just study you can continue to work on this.

If in case you have valid cisco smartnet contract then you can upgrade the switch to the latest one.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

19 REPLIES 19
firewire2013
Beginner

anyone?

Hi James,

This should be good enough to do the lab practice for the CCNA and CCNP.

I would suggest you also use the third party tool which are very good for all certification upto CCIE.

1- Cisco Packet Tracer ( complete CCNA & CCNP can be acheived using this software).

http://www.mynetworkinglabs.com/2012/11/packet-tracer-533-review-and-free.html

2- GNS --- (You can do the CCIE level of practice on this software.)

http://www.gns3.net/download/

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Unless you're enrolled in the Cisco Networking Academy or an alumni you can't get a copy of Packet Tracer legally.

GNS3 is better for learning but requires you have service contract (smartnet) in order to download IOS.

James, you might be interested in getting a layer 2/3 switch like the 3560 or the 3750s. They're great for learning and experience. And very relevant to CCNP towards CCIE.

Hope this helps

James

It is not clear whether your routers are the regular 1760 or are the 1760-V (and at the level of CCNA it does not really matter - but might be nice to know which it is). And I am a bit concerned about how well they will serve your purposes. My concerns include these things:

- we do not know what version of IOS is on these routers, but it is probably fairly old. And at this point I believe that you will not be able to upgrade the IOS on them.

- these routers have a single Ethernet interface built in. For purposes of preparing for CCNA and CCNP I think that you would be better off with routers that have at least two Ethernet interfaces.

- these routers generally used the Ethernet for LAN connection and one of the serial modules for WAN. While there are deployment situations where that is a good fit, I am not sure that it is such a good fit for study routers.

While the 2950s are good layer 2 switches, I do agree that the suggestion that you also get a layer 3 switch is a good idea.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jonatrod
Rising star

Hi James, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I think you could try to use this equipment for your purpose, the difference between CCNA and CCNP is get more deeper in to the protocols also incorporate new ones, so if you get more equipment including the Layer 3 Switch could be a good idea in order to get more experience, also if you could get access to packet tracer or GNS will be really helpfull too. However if you are using CCNP protocols, I recommend you use GNS3

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

firewire2013
Beginner

Thanks for all your replies its good to have different views.
Im still a little unsure, what I will do is upload the information from the 1760 routers and switches later on this evening and hopefully we can determine if the iOS is suitable.
I've also just bought a terminal sever which should be delivered in the next day or so.
This is the spec of the terminal server

Router>sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-C-L), Version 12.0(28d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 19-Aug-05 19:12 by pwade
Image text-base: 0x0302D7B8, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
BOOTFLASH: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM
SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 0 minutes
System restarted by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2500-c-l.120-28d.bin"

cisco AS2511-RJ (68030) processor (revision I) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 08865706, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
TN3270 Emulation software.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
16 terminal line(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Also do I need a packet tracer if I am buying the hardware?
I'm not really into virtual labs I'd rather just buy the real deal.

Thanks again and not to worry I will rate all posts and mark as answered when finished.

Regards
James Bowler

Likewise, I prefer the real kit although, GNS3 isn't too bad in terms of what we can do with a router, but can be limited when it comes to switches and layer 2.

Nothing beats real kit :-)

Hi James,

Yes as Bilal suggested nothing beats  the real devices and you feel the experience only when you working on the same.

GNS : -Not much of Switching you can perform here. Most of the things will have to do it in alternate way which is quite disturbing if you are not have exposure towards working on this.

Routing on GNS: It works fine if you have configured everything perfectly  but sometimes it behaves buggy and the devices needed reboot but thats rare case.

Try to get the real devices to work on if and only not possible then go ahead and purchase the full version of the softwares by enroling and purchasing the smartnet contract.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

firewire2013
Beginner

Hi all
Right so now I'm looking at layer 3 switches....£££pricey£££!!!
Anyway it's all good :)
The guy I bought the AS2511-R2 from will combine the postage on another item so it makes sense to get this layer switch from him... eBay job :)
He's not got any 3560 or 3750s however he does have a WS-3550-48-SMI is that any good or should I get a the 3560?

So I've booted up the 1760 router and I have the following information below.

Router>sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(8), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 15-May-06 12:42 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 5 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-8.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x600) with 92231K/6073K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC09220W3G (2598069861), with hardware revision 0000
MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
1 FastEthernet interface
1 Serial interface
1 Serial(sync/async) interface
1 terminal line
32K bytes of NVRAM.
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Also the 2950 I have is the following

Switch>sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 02-Feb-04 23:29 by yenanh
Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x8058A000

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2950 boot loader

Switch uptime is 1 minute
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bincopy"

cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision R0) with 20808K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ0918W08U
Last reset from system-reset
Running Standard Image
24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:13:C3:D9:C6:80
Motherboard assembly number: 73-5781-13
Power supply part number: 34-0965-01
Motherboard serial number: FOC09142Z1P
Power supply serial number: DAB0910496R
Model revision number: R0
Motherboard revision number: A0
Model number: WS-C2950-24
System serial number: FCZ0918W08U
Configuration register is 0xF

Please let me know your thoughts because at the moment this may as well be in Japanese.

Thanks for reading

James

The 2511 terminal server should work well for you.

The software in the 1760 (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M) is a good feature set and should do pretty well for both CCNA and CCNP. The version is relatively recent and that is good. I am still concerned about it having a single Ethernet but there may be ways to work around that.

The 2950 is a good layer 2 switch. The software at Version 12.1(19)EA1c is ok for your purposes as far as I know.

It has been quite a while since I looked at 3550 but my memory is that it should work pretty well for your purposes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

chuang123
Beginner

I got ccna ccnp, working on ccie now. I suggest you get 4 2611xm and 2 3550. The price is cheap for these model. Later you can get 4 1841 and 2 3560 when you working on ccie

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

firewire2013
Beginner

Please can someone explain why one Ethernet will be a problem and what will it be used for, also there are two cards in the 1760 routers what are they for, see picture on first post (layman terms only I'm stupid)

Thanks again

Hello James, it may be a problem because it simply isn't 'enough' to be studying towards CCNP level. CCNP becomes a little more complex with topologies and the practice you need for the exam (especially troubleshooting exams) will require more than one.

The other slot is a serial slot. It's an interface that can be used in a network (more popular with frame relay or old point-to-point connections etc...) more old fashioned but it is still being used these days.

It's just an interface where you can put an IP on it. It can easily become part of your lab if you have the right cable to connect them up.

Hope this helps.

James

Most of what you will do with the router involves traffic coming in one interface and going out another interface. That is very easy to set up if the router has more than one Ethernet interface. It can be set up with an Ethernet and a serial but it is more complex. That is the main point in my concern about having only a single Ethernet interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick